New Layout Pictures

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
Apr 14, 2006
Rancho Santa Margarita, Cali.
Here is another one of my train cars made into an office. This time it's a Old Santa Fe Caboose.

I think that I am going to put windows in and maybe put a desk and some furnature??

Attachments

• Office.jpg
    Office.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 369

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
Apr 14, 2006
It's been a while since I updated this thread. Well here is what is going on.

The blast furnace is no longer going to be in HO scale (visit my n-scale steel mill complex; click link in signature) mainly because the only buidings my parents were able to win on e-bay was the rolling mill and I am just going to keep that for a future layout. I just bought the Blast furnace in N scale so I am going to start on a big steel mill module.

Here is what is going in place of the Steel Mill:
  1. Hoffa Cement Plant
  2. Armstrong Electric Motors (backround building)
  3. 2 Red Wing Flour Mills kitbashed into 1 long building
  4. United Petroleum Refinery
  5. Interstate Fuel & Oil
  6. Sub-Station
Below are some pictures of what I drew out on the layout. Buildings are drawn to scale and track was layed out.

1. Overview of the United Petoleum Refinery. The red line is a tank car siding (no possible way to connect to mainline and will only hold 2 62' tankers, fine with me though)
2. Overview of the Hoffa Cement Complex (that building with the 3 trailers ( towards the top center left) is the backround building "Armstrong Electric Motors")
3. Overview of the Sub-station and Hoffa Cement Complex (the reddish black line is the track that comesfrom the mainline to serve the Hoffa Cement Complex)
4. Close-up of the Hoffa Cement Truck Repair Building (still has to be painted) with a tank next to it.
5. Close-up of the Sub-Station which will be surrounded by chain-link fence. The Hoffa Cement Complex will have chain-link fences around it to with 2 entrances.

Attachments

• Overview.jpg
    Overview.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 176
  • overview 2.jpg
    overview 2.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 181
  • overview 3.jpg
    overview 3.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 182
  • Cement Truck Repair Building.jpg
    Cement Truck Repair Building.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 177
  • Sub-Station.jpg
    Sub-Station.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 170

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
Apr 14, 2006
1. Close-up of Armstrong Electric Mortors. Those boxcars are on the siding for the Red Wing Flour Mill Building (again, no possible way to connect to mainline but it is ok with me)
2. Close-up of the United Petroleum Refinery and the Interstate Fuel & Oil buildings. These 2 will be combined in the same complex with some extra storage tanks and piping and surrounded by chain-link fences.

Attachments

• Armstrong Electric Motors.jpg
    Armstrong Electric Motors.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 169
  • United Petroleum.jpg
    United Petroleum.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 170

green_elite_cab

Keep It Moving!
Apr 4, 2005
Hainesport NJ
TruckLover said:
It's been a while since I updated this thread. Well here is what is going on.

The blast furnace is no longer going to be in HO scale (visit my n-scale steel mill complex; click link in signature) mainly because the only buidings my parents were able to win on e-bay was the rolling mill and I am just going to keep that for a future layout. I just bought the Blast furnace in N scale so I am going to start on a big steel mill module.

Here is what is going in place of the Steel Mill:
  1. Hoffa Cement Plant
  2. Armstrong Electric Motors (backround building)
  3. 2 Red Wing Flour Mills kitbashed into 1 long building
  4. United Petroleum Refinery
  5. Interstate Fuel & Oil
  6. Sub-Station
Below are some pictures of what I drew out on the layout. Buildings are drawn to scale and track was layed out.

Do you actually have united petroleum refinery? i'm telling you right now, not to be discouraging, but i've been searching for some time for that kit,and it hasn't popped up anywhere. don't let me know where it is, lol, i'll give you a run for your money!

also, It may be better to stick with interstate fuel and oil. The reason being is it takes up less space than a refinery. Refineries are big bussiness on your steel mill scale. You';d also need some sort of tank farm, and all of that. most of this oil stuff is getting hard to come by, atleast for me. refineries need all sorts of space, and its just not the best choice for your layout unless you want to start removing lots of things.

Interstate fuel and oil is simple, and it doesn't take up to much space. it will also be easier to have prototypical car loads coming out of it. also, interstate is a reciever and local distributer of oil products. it would be odd to have it next to a refinery.

you should also add the tank car loading rack to your refinery if you choose to model it, and the truck loading platform. I have those to models, and i think you'd like them.

My personal take is either just interstate, or a refinery/tank farm with the loading tracks/structurs. just be warned again, refiniries are big. with all the other structures you want to add, you probably won't have any space.

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
Apr 14, 2006
Nope, I don't have the refinery yet, thanks for letting me know about it being hard to find. I wish that Walthers would not discontinue such good buildings:curse: :rolleyes: but what can you do right?

Ok, forget the refinery, I'll stick with the Interstate Fuel & Oil building. So what else should I put with this small building? I already drew in the tank loading platform (forgot to mention that), should I get the truck loading platform too? and put in another track or 2 and a some storage tanks w/all tha piping.

green_elite_cab

Keep It Moving!
Apr 4, 2005
Hainesport NJ
TruckLover said:
1. Close-up of Armstrong Electric Mortors. Those boxcars are on the siding for the Red Wing Flour Mill Building (again, no possible way to connect to mainline but it is ok with me)
2. Close-up of the United Petroleum Refinery and the Interstate Fuel & Oil buildings. These 2 will be combined in the same complex with some extra storage tanks and piping and surrounded by chain-link fences.

just saw the second picture. I definitely reccomend buying the tank car loading rack and the truck loading platform. its cheaper, takes up less space, and has a more of a modern refinery look to it. I think it would satisfy you more. i'll post pictures of mine in a minute.

the refinery might work.

green_elite_cab

Keep It Moving!
Apr 4, 2005
Hainesport NJ
excuse the darkness, my lamp broke, so i don't have good lighting for the moment. they look better when you can see them better, trust me!

tank truck loading platform

oilrefinery001editedgx6.jpg

tank car loading rack

oilrefinery002editedtp0.jpg

on the other side of this commuter train, the corner is empty, and i hope to put halves of some oil tank kits or something the make it look like there is a tank farm on the other side of the tracks, and the the pipes merely funnel under the railroad to get to the loading points.

oilrefinery003editednr5.jpg

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
Apr 14, 2006
Ya, I like those 2 they look cool and I could use the Tank Truck Loading Rack. Would look cool with some tankers around it. Thanks for the pics. They look cool and I think that the storage tanks on the other side of the line are a great idea.

Post an updated drawling of the area tomarro with the tank truck loading rack and some other details for Interstate Fuel & Oil facility.:thumb: :thumb:

green_elite_cab

Keep It Moving!
Apr 4, 2005
Hainesport NJ
thats what i'm saying though. maybe you can get the refinery in. its really one ofr the other. Interstate fuel and oil comes with everything except the loading racks.

the difference is that interstate fuel and oil sells oil that it gets from the refinery, so it has unloading things for the tank cars, and a small loading rack for truks. its self contained.

the refinery however has these larger and more elaborate( and interesting) structures. they make the products and ship them out. Upon taking a better look at your pictures, a refinery might fit if you can find the united refinery dealy. I think plastruct comes out with a refinery to, but its not exactlyt he same style as the walthers one. not that they wouldn't mesh perfectly though. the only big space stealing part is the storage tanks on a a refinery. the farms can get big.

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
Apr 14, 2006
IDK, ill have to take another look at the space and decide. I do want that refinery though. If I go with the refinery, I'll have some storage tanks around the building and some half tanks in the wall + the tank car and truck loading racks. Ya, maybe I do that and leave the Interstate Oil out. Now just one problem, it's the waiting game for the refinery to pop up somewhere:curse: :curse: :rolleyes:

You said that plastruct is coming out with a refinery? or is it already out?