Which Layout Design Do You Like Better?

• Design #1- Operations

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Design #2- More Trains!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Cannonball

More Trains Than Brains
I was going over my new layout design tonight and while I like the looks of it, it bugs me to no end that I can't run at least two trains independantly on it. I started tearing it appart and came up with an altered version that will let me put a figure 8 in the middle to run my trolley or maybe smaller freights in the middle. The only drawback here is that it takes away my operations spurs. I'd like to get everyone's opinions on which they like better. Of course the people who are into operations are probably going to like #1 better and the people who like to just run the trains are going to probably like #2. Myself, I'm mostly a train runner so I think I'd be happier with #2 but then I've got a pile of switches I won't be using.

This will be a 4x8 layout built in O27 Gauge.
It will have a graduated trestle starting up in the back along the wall and coming down just after the loop.

Attachments

• LayoutConcept01.jpg
    LayoutConcept01.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 180
  • LayoutConcept02.jpg
    LayoutConcept02.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 187

MadHatter

Charging at full tilt.
Hi Cannonball, just a suggestion, in America you guys have a lot of trains that are elevated, why not elevate the figure of eight and run a passenger, then underneath have all your storage sidings.

It doesn't look like you are looking to operate too prototypically, so........

I can't think of any narrow guage elevated lines, but then again it is your layout- so make a story as to why you have one.

Just an idea......

Cannonball

More Trains Than Brains
MadHatter said:
Hi Cannonball, just a suggestion, in America you guys have a lot of trains that are elevated, why not elevate the figure of eight and run a passenger, then underneath have all your storage sidings.
Because I don't have enough elevated trestles to lift the entire figure 8 and if I spend any more money on this my wife will pound me with a diecast engine. ;)

MadHatter said:
It doesn't look like you are looking to operate too prototypically, so........
You can't get very prototypical with O gauge stuff in a 4x8.

MadHatter said:
I can't think of any narrow guage elevated lines, but then again it is your layout- so make a story as to why you have one.
I wasn't aware that O27 was considered a narrow gauge. :confused:

As for a story as to why I have one, because the original design called for one. :D

Attachments

• dealerlayout04b.jpg
    dealerlayout04b.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 192

Triplex

I wasn't aware that O27 was considered a narrow gauge.
My guess (and I'm going out on a limb): He confused it with O16.5. For those of you who only know American narrow gauges, it's sort of like On30: O on HO track. However, British O is 1/43.5 instead of 1/48, so it doesn't scale to 30" gauge, but 28". It's like OO9, the British analogue of HOn30, which scales to 27" gauge since OO is larger than HO. I suspect that railroad/model terminology in South Africa is more like UK than US - correct me if I'm wrong.

MadHatter

Charging at full tilt.
Hi Triplex and Cannonball

Terminology in South Africa depends on what you model believe it or not.

A guy that does American trains speaks of switches and switching freight cars in the freight yard.

The guy that Models European, U.K. and South Africa speaks of turnouts (points) and shunting goods wagons in the goods yard.

On the real railways we refer to a switch as a "set" and cars as a wagon- yet sometimes we will mix it up like a hopper wagon and a flatcar.

There's even an arguement as to whether S. African people have accents since if we go overseas for a few months we come back talking in the same accent and terminology as wherever we visited!

Cannonball

More Trains Than Brains
5 to 1 in favor of the operations layout so far.
So hows this rock the socks for you operations guys?

Attachments

• LayoutConcept03.jpg
    LayoutConcept03.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 128

Cannonball

More Trains Than Brains
Yet another variation.
I like this one for operations, but agian I am limited to one train.
And I think it will limit my scenery a bit as well.

Attachments

• LayoutConcept04.jpg
    LayoutConcept04.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 94

Renovo PPR

Just a Farmer
Why can't you run two trains on a 4x8 independantly? You could make wooden tressles out of 2x4 or something just to get the second teir up and running.

Cannonball

More Trains Than Brains
Renovo PPR said:
Why can't you run two trains on a 4x8 independantly? You could make wooden tressles out of 2x4 or something just to get the second teir up and running.
I've thought about doing that. I dunno if my current structure would support a second level though. If I had the time and money, I'd love to build sturdier benchwork but neither is really there right now.