New Layout - First time builder

redmans

Feb 2, 2008
Melbourne, Australia
This is my first technical post!

I had attempted a similar layout to the one below about 10 years ago and only got to the point of building the benches, laying the track and doing some wiring.

The following plans were done on my imac using railmodeller. I'm no expect on this stuff, so please be gentle :thumb:

It is pretty much a rough design. Looking for point to point, with a little yard work.

There is room for future expansion off to the right. The blue area represents water and the gray areas are voids. There are 4 modular boards at 4 x 2.5 feet or 1200 x 770mm if you are metric, the first is potrait and the other three are landscape.

I would appreciate any feedback, at this stage I am in the process of building the base boards, using ply/pine sandwich and PVC pipe legs.

I have also come across the HOG layout in another thread and that seems an interesting concept which I would consider also.

Attachments

• Picture 5.jpg
    Picture 5.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 27

Squidbait

Recovering ALCO-holic
Jan 27, 2007
Paris, ON
I think it's interesting and has potential.

The first things I'd say is that your crossover at the right end is too close to the end of the layout, and your switchback at the left end is a bit short - I think it'd be a tight squeeze to move more than a loco across either one.

Second, two questions - 1) why double-track end-to-end? 2) why is all the switching at the left end of the layout?

redmans

Feb 2, 2008
Melbourne, Australia
The Blue and Grey areas would normally be at the front if it was going to remain point to point.

The double track is something I wanted to do and the turn at the right with the switch would be extended.

The area to the left is supposed to be a rail yard or freight terminal kind of thing.

The idea of this layout is that it is supposed to be a main line down to a bayside freight terminal. On the bottom of the picture would be hills and to the right would be a cutting of sorts. I've only visualised it, but haven't had the chance to draw it or do a design on the computer.

The other option I have thought about is integrating the 2 left boards into the HOG layout, which is one of the more complete designs on the internet, which is designed for beginers.

Thanks for the feedback so far.