New landscaping pics posted

dannparks

Dec 28, 2007
Urged on by all the great layouts shown on this forum, I have been working on the center parts of my 4x10 free standing layout. Finishing buildings, painting, weathering, foliage and some scenery. New pics posted here:

Picasa Web Albums - Dan - N-scale model...

It's amazing how much effort it takes to really detail out a few square inches. You work for days on an area and it still looks empty when you see it in a camera closeup. My hats off to those modelers who can create a super detailed miniature reality to every square inch of a layout.

BTW, what is the best camera to shoot layouts with?

Biased turkey

Apr 10, 2006
Montreal, Canada Eh
Nice work, congrats.
Your scenery has everything: hills, trees, talus, roads. bushes. Highly detailed.
For sure I'll bookmark the link to your pictures.
The only missing element seems to be some water, but I see that you have some planned.
What material are you using for dirt roads ?
Do you make a base ( cork roadbed, foamboard etc.. ) before sifting the dirt or do you glue the dirt directly to the pink foam ?

Jacques

Herc Driver

Apr 18, 2005
North Carolina
Wow - very nice work! From one Nscaler to another...my compliments on such exacting work. I like the way you made the buildings work into the ground cover...nicely done.

dannparks

Dec 28, 2007
Thanks for the encouragement. I'm using Woodland Scenics Fine Dark Brown Ballast for the dirt aresa, although I wish it were a little bit finer. I'd like to try real sifted dirt at some point. Everything is glued directly to the foam, including the track. I hope it stays put. I use alcohol as a wetting agent and soak it with scenic cement. I have some Magic Water that I have been very anxious about using. Water seems to be an easy way to screw things up!

scubadude

Sep 5, 2006
Richardson, Texas
Well, I've got one thing to say.....your layout is BAD TO THE BONE! :thumb: I really like the "feel" of your layout, I think I might steal a couple of your ideas fair and square :twisted:.......

dannparks

Dec 28, 2007
Hey Herc. Thanks for the comments. Making everything match to the same ground level and look natural is a real trick. Sometimes you have to raise the foundation, sometimes cut a hole to sink it. Most buildings seem to have a lot of brush next to them and that seems to hide a lot of "seams." Do you have any layouts posted?

Who do you fly 130's for? My other "train" is an RV-6A that I use to escape the earthly bonds. Pictures in my Picasa Gallery.