New Kato SD90 acting old....(running bad)

Zug

Sep 16, 2003
www.zugdcc.com
I got a Kato SD90MAC about a month and a half ago, didn't really use it as I was getting ready to move. I just finished my extension of my main line (now about 100') and started to run the SD90MAC.

But it not running all the well, the lights flickers and and studdles and when it hit the 11" turn it comes to a dead stop.

I'd expect a loco needing a good cleaning to act this way, but not a new Kato. I'm going to take it apart for cleaning tomorrow. Any ideas on this??

HuskerN

Jun 4, 2003
Omaha, NE
Visit site
Zug,
I had the exact experience that you explained. I have an SD90, and a few months after laying new track on my layout, it began to run very rough. The headlight flickered, and at times the loco even stalled, needing a push to get started again. I found that I had dirty track. I took a small piece of cloth from an old T-shirt, and dipped it in some alcohol and rubbed this over the rail. It is amazing how much black you will lift off of the rails if you haven't cleaned your track lately. I was surprised that even when the track appears shiny, you can still lift grime off the rails. So, any time I see my SD90 sputter I simply clean the rails, and I am back in business. I don't think you have any problems with your loco. In addition, I like to run pairs of locos on my layout as 2 engines seem to pull much smoother in unison than just 1.
HuskerN

Zug

Sep 16, 2003
www.zugdcc.com
THe strangest thing, was trying to figure out if I could remove teh trucks like I do on my Atlas loc, they just pop out with a little flip with a screwdriver, but the Kato trucks seem to be a lot firmer. So I didn't feel like getting into a teardown and left it.

I went to run it again before I was going to take it apart and it's running better, still a flicker, but it's not stalling. I think it still needs a little work, but it looks like it's going to be ok. maybe something wasn't sitting just right...:confused: :confused:

Keith 55

Jun 18, 2003
San Antonio, Texas-USA
Visit site
Kent, break-in is not to be underrated, and even factory fresh locos can have oils and gunk on the wheels. Clean everything, check your contacts, make sure your trucks pivot easily in all directions without binding. It'll come around, and if not, KATO will just have to make good, right?