New Job, playing with Boats!

Glen Haasdyk

Feb 2, 2004
Kelowna, BC
Visit site
Well I quit my job at the powder coating shop. The Boss pretty much told me that I was at the highest level of the pay scale and I shouldn't expect any more raises (the company can't afford it). Just after that he pulls into the parking lot in a brand new RV and a week after that a brand new SUV. I gave my notice a couple days later.

On thursday I started work for a boat manufactuerer here in Kelowna, Campion. So far it's great the additude is much better. I start at what I was getting paid at my old job and it's cleaner and safer as well. I'm building the large cabin boats as well as the high performance boat line.

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
That's fantastic, it's always great when you don't have to give up anything, and get a better position to boot.:thumb: :thumb:

See if they won't let you make a few "salesman samples", say around 1:87 or 1:160.:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Glen Haasdyk

Feb 2, 2004
Kelowna, BC
Visit site
Actually the job comes with some 'fringe' benefits. Like employee beach days where we get to enjoy some of the boats that we've built as well as deals on some of the components like stereo systems that are ordered through the company.

N Gauger

1:20.3 Train Addict
Dec 20, 2000
South Eastern, PA
mywebpages.comcast.net
Actually the job comes with some 'fringe' benefits. Like employee beach days where we get to enjoy some of the boats that we've built as well as deals on some of the components like stereo systems that are ordered through the company.

Oh HECK YEAH!!! You HAVE to have some sort of Quality Control!! You Gotta test run a sample now and then!!!

now THAT'S a Perk if i ever saw one!!!!!

........... TAKE PICS!!!! sign1sign1sign1sign1sign1sign1

And congrats!! It sounds like you mad a good "attitude adjustment" choice :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

N

nachoman

Good for you, Glen. Boy, I know what you are talking about, though, with your old job. I think my company is starting to realize that if you don't pay good employees competitively, they will leave. My boss told me on friday that I was getting a substantial pay increase. He then made sure it was clear it was not a "raise" but a "pay increase" across the board as a stop-gap to keep people with the company. But this extra money (17% increase in salary) does not kick in for two months. Even with the extra money coming in two months, I am tempted to test the water right now to see if I could be making more somewhere else.

Kevin

zedob

Dec 26, 2004
Chicopee, MA
Glen, good for you.

I did the same thing because all I had available were nothing but lateral moves. I got a offer I couldn't refuse to do something I barely had any idea of how to do and made the move. Best thing I could have done.

My previous experience was relative in basics although not directly related, which made my move fairly painless, but there was still some learning curve and that made it more interesting.

Good luck!

Jim Krause

Apr 7, 2005
Polson, MT
Nice to see someone get out of a job they don't like. Its not pleasant dealing with that situation. By the way, how did you expect the previous employer to pay for his toys if he gave you a raise? I worked for a boat builder for several years and found it challenging. I tried to learn just about every job in the company, from outfitting to driving the delivery truck. I did draw the line at laminating and hull work. Didn't like that resin smell full time. It is a real art to be able to build up a good strong hull and not make the boat so heavy that you use the whole profit margin in resin and fibreglass.

dckuk

Dec 19, 2006
Just to show you gotta be ready to up and go if necessary. After 20 in the Air Force my "What_I'll_Put_Up_With" tolerance is a whole lot lower, and I've managed to find a small company with really bad benefits (for now they say) but an excellent team and working environment. Have to look at what REALLY matters in the 9-5 sometimes, don't you think?

It took five jobs in eight years to get there (two redundancies, one re-organisation, one real schmuck of a boss, and one "no prospects") but it is worth it...

Well Done Glen

Glen Haasdyk

Feb 2, 2004
Kelowna, BC
Visit site
The Lamination end of the line is an area that I don't want to work on either. Although laminators make more money. Fortunetly they need workers all over the shop so I'm in the assembly side. I'm learning how to build the bows for the canvas tops as well as some fitting installation.