New job for docksiders

shaygetz

There were only three built, #s 97-99, all for the B&O to work the docks and street trackage in Baltimore. They were sold to the PRR eventually where two were stripped of their saddletanks and given slopeback tenders. Rivarossi made their 0-4-0 switchers based on this later configuration. I'm sure there's more to the story but that's it in a nutshell.

Russ Bellinis

Is that one in the link the remaining original docksider that had been used by the Pennsy or was it a differnt class of locomotive from another source entirely?

jetrock

Well, there is a caveat: there were only four (or was it three?) Docksides, and they belonged to one company, but there were many, many 0-4-0 tank locomotives that looked vaguely like a Dockside.

toptrain1

As to how many real 0-4-0t saddle tankers were made that looked like the Varney Lil-Joe I am sure none were made with the oval name plate with the V in it.
Also no one has mentioned the Revell 0-4-0t dockside

Russ Bellinis

toptrain1 said:
As to how many real 0-4-0t saddle tankers were made that looked like the Varney Lil-Joe I am sure none were made with the oval name plate with the V in it.
Also no one has mentioned the Revell 0-4-0t dockside

As much as dies for various ho scale models seemed to have moved from manufacturer to manufacturer, and particularly it seems everything Revell ever offered has since been offered by almost everybody else, I would be surprised if the Revell 0-4-0t was not originally the Varney Docksider.

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Russ,

I have no history of the one in the link. In that picture, it is being used to switch the EB Eddy Match Co yard in Hull (now Gatineau) Quebec, Canada. Just across the river from the Parliament Buildings in Ottawa. Based on the photographer who snapped the pic, I am guessing it was taken sometime between 1930 and 1945.

Andrew

toptrain1

revell dies

RUSS : yes the Revell 0-4-0t dockside was identical to the Varney. A ripoff unless made for Revell by Varney. I don't know. I remember that the nameplate on the side of the loco had the V removed. I forgett if a R was put in it's place. I found a old one. The V is removed and the name plate is empty. The drive wheels have the same centers as the Revell 0-6-0.