New & Improved track plan

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
Well, progress on my layout had ground to a halt because of a major problem due to lack of planning. Basically, I was not going to have room to turn my trolley tracks in the corner over the RR tracks.

So, I have come up with a simple solutiom: move the city/trolley portion onto its own peninsula. It then becomes a separate module and could maybe even be swapped out with something else later on.

This also gives me an opportunity to extend the benchwork out from the wall about a foot, which will enable continuous running.

Let me know what you think. :)

Val

edit: I should also mention that there is access to the yard from both sides.

Attachments

• newplan.jpg
    newplan.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 448

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
Hey Val! Nice to see you posting again! I like your new plan for its continuous running and the inclusion of a continous trolley line. Is the trolley line the same elevation as the upper tracks? Are the storage tracks to be hidden?
Ralph

rksstl

May 24, 2003
St. Peters Missouri
Visit site
I like it, but this just goes to show you that sick mind think alike. Heres kinda what I'm doing now, Val you been lookin over my shoulder :D
adb.thumb.jpg

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
Ralph said:
Is the trolley line the same elevation as the upper tracks? Are the storage tracks to be hidden?
Ralph

Yes, all tracks are on the same level. The storage tracks are going to be fully visible, and will contain passenger cars which will not run on my tight curves (18") but which I like looking at! Also it could double as limited staging.

Brakie, I'll be there - looking forward to your ideas.

Rich - that's one good-lookin' track plan. :)

Val

RailRon

Nov 23, 2002
Trimbach, Switzerland
That's quite an extension to the already existing part which you have planned here, Val! Lots of switching potential ( I guess you'll add some more sidings for industries, won't you?)

One little peculiarity got my attention: Your mainline crosses itself twice right below the storage tracks. Why? Do you have a special sort of operation in mind - like operating protecting signals for the crossings, beside a superdetailed interlocking tower... ??

The peninsula in the middle of the room should give you ample room for playing out your talents for the construction of urban buildings. I'm already looking forward to see more of your fantastic city scenes! :thumb:

Ron

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
RailRon said:
One little peculiarity got my attention: Your mainline crosses itself twice right below the storage tracks. Why? Do you have a special sort of operation in mind - like operating protecting signals for the crossings, beside a superdetailed interlocking tower... ??
Ron

Hi Ron, thanks! Re your question, the only reason I have the crossing track is because I like it!!! Other than that, it wouldn't really have to.

Chris, you're right, I haven't been posting much, mainly because the last 3 weeks of summer were taken up with visitors, relaxing at the cottage and then preparing for school. I'm quite busy with 5 classes for a total of 75 students this semester, but I hope to be around more than I have been. :)

Val