New Haven Bridge

eightyeightfan1

Now I'm AMP'd
Jun 18, 2002
Torrington, Ct.
Been wanting to take pics of this bridge for years.
Its a bridge that crosses over a small stream on New Haven's Naugatuck Branch, outside Torrington Ct.
It hasn't been used since at least 1970.

Attachments

• bridge1.jpg
    bridge1.jpg
    148.9 KB · Views: 8

eightyeightfan1

Now I'm AMP'd
Jun 18, 2002
Torrington, Ct.
To my surprise, living near here, and driving by it everyday,but never visiting the site, the rails and the guard rails were still in place.

Attachments

• bridge2.jpg
    bridge2.jpg
    211.1 KB · Views: 7

eightyeightfan1

Now I'm AMP'd
Jun 18, 2002
Torrington, Ct.
This view is the ROW(Right Of Way) looking back towards Torrington.
To the left, is the old Warrenton Mills factory(Now apartments), to the right, were foundations of some out buildings, and the ruins of a dam. Probably belonged to the mill.

Attachments

• bridge3.jpg
    bridge3.jpg
    204.8 KB · Views: 5

eightyeightfan1

Now I'm AMP'd
Jun 18, 2002
Torrington, Ct.
The ROW looking north towards Winsted.
I understand that there was a crossing shanty here during the early days, when the line belonged to the Naugatuck Valley railroad.

Attachments

• bridge4.jpg
    bridge4.jpg
    208.1 KB · Views: 9

nkp174

Oct 10, 2006
Cincinnati, O.
Good work in getting some local railfanning in! It's amazing how easy it is to put it off until its gone. There used to be a PRR caboose that sat, visible from an interstate, near where I live. By the time I got around to visiting, it was MIA with a skateboard park in its place :-(

chooch.42

Jan 23, 2007
Gibsonia, Pa.
Eighty-Eight - Nice to find such a reminder of history...any thoughts on the brick/siding/hip roof structure to the right in the North view ? Just looked like neat window framing on the first floor - could be old, can't see it that well - looks like a home now - could it be a re-purposed ex-RR building? Thanks for chasing, taking and posting the images ! Bob C.

eightyeightfan1

Now I'm AMP'd
Jun 18, 2002
Torrington, Ct.
Sorry for the delay in responding.
There's two more just like it out of view from the shot.
My guess would be that they were company houses at one time.. May have belonged to the mill on south side of the river. You can just make it out through the trees in the second picture.