new guy

joeg0109

Hi all just introducing myself. new to model trains. been watching you guys for a while just got up the nerve to join the gauge. i will be modeling ho scale. i have inherated a train set from my father-inlaw. not knowing anthing about the trains,track,wiring,ect.ect. ive learned quit alot here and hope to learn alot more. ive got the bug! i hope to make a 4x8 layout to start with. limited on space.well of to do more reaserch. thanks now for all the wealth of knowledge...

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
Hi Joe and Welcome to the Gauge!!!

Glad you could join us here :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I model HO scale as well as N scale.

Feel free to ask any questions you have for us, I can almost guarentee that someone will be there to answer your questions. And member there are no "stupid questions" :mrgreen: :-D :mrgreen:

Jim Krause

Hello joeg: Welcome. Your statement about "limited space", applies to about 99 1/2 percent of us here. No model railroader has enough space. Have you tried that inherited train set to see if it still works? My first comment to you is if it has the old 9 inch, brass track sections without any roadbed, clean it very well, make sure the rail joiners are tight and nail it down to something stable. After checking out the operation of the train, throw the track in the garbage and get some kind of nickle silver track and start over.

bigsteel

Call me Mr.Tinkertrain
always glad to see new members! glad you could join joe :thumb: and remember dont go tryin to do something yu dont know about,just ask,theres bound to be someone else who has done it :D --josh

doctorwayne

Hi joeg0109, and welcome to the Gauge. :wave: The "Search" function works pretty well for finding specific information, but don't hesitate to ask questions too. We all started out from about the same point that you're at now, but there's a wealth of info here and lots of people pleased to be able to share it. :)

Wayne

Triplex

i hope to make a 4x8 layout to start with. limited on space.
Your statement about "limited space", applies to about 99 1/2 percent of us here. No model railroader has enough space.
That's why it's important to think about more efficient ways of using your space. What are the requirements? What size room or section of a room do you have? Do the walls have to be kept clear? Does the layout have to be portable?