New Guy in at the deep end!

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by FlareBaffled, Dec 16, 2007.

1. CJTK1701

CJTK1701 Banned

Here you go, I cleaned up the picture for you.

[​IMG]
  2. FlareBaffled

FlareBaffled Member

Thanks for trying to improve my pathetic photography! I blame the wife... she likes soft lighting and uplighters, which gives really bad light for photo's. On top of that, any flash use or my owrk lamp gives glare and hides the details! ONe day, I;ll get the hang of it wall1

anyway...despite spending hte last few days inside a bottle or two of Jack Daniels finest, I have been able to spend some time working on this. I have done the small forward hangar, and started on the detail for the underside. It wasn't what I planned to do next ... but it just sort of happened that way! 3D mesh is done, and I now just need to UV map it ( so I can do a proper textured version later ) and unfold it to do the test build.
  3. FlareBaffled

FlareBaffled Member

Progress has been slower than expected, due to a few technical hitches. I am trying to make some fairly large thin parts, and I have had some need to revise the build of the lower hull detail sections. I need to give them some framing of their own, which means re-doing them from scratch... but that's the whole point of a text build! Much easier to make the mistakes now rather than later!!!! Should have some more fuzzy and badly lit pictures of this by early next week!
  4. CJTK1701

CJTK1701 Banned

Hang in there, there's a learning curve to everything and everyone makes mistakes. It's all part of the process, any process, for that matter.
  5. FlareBaffled

FlareBaffled Member

Having been unfairly held up by silly things like a 40th birthday, I have finally finished putting together the core model for the lower hull section. Quite pleased with the end result, though it was a touch fiddly to build!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The dome worked out pretty well, andf I am glad I spent the time to make the 'double' section for the main part here.

I also did the forward hangar, but that was virtually impossible to ac tually take a picture of! It's a pretty simple affair, so thats no loss!
  6. CJTK1701

CJTK1701 Banned

Looking good Flarebaffled! Keep on Trekkin:thumb:
  7. FlareBaffled

FlareBaffled Member

OK...got a bit more done.

Added in the detail around the main hangar, to which the hangar section is attached. This allowsd it to slot into the underside once the main skin is on. Also added some thin card greebling to the underside section that I had done, plus some more of the larger underside pieces. The front hangar also has a section it's fixed to now.

Not much more to do to the underneath until after I skin it out. But I can't do that until I have done the main trench work. That looks like it must be the next stage.... or I might start on the engine area. I have worked out exactly how I am going to do the trench and the surrounds for it ... but I need to get some more cardstock before I do.

I also DO have to do the main work on the engine area before I skin it ... ahh .. so much work, so little time :mrgreen:
  8. CJTK1701

CJTK1701 Banned

Keep at it, looking forward to your updates. this going to be fun.:thumb:
  9. Millenniumfalsehood

Millenniumfalsehood Active Member

Amazing!

FlareBaffled, I'm making molds for a 28" vacuform Star Destroyer kit, and This project of yours will help immensely in getting it finished. Do you mind if I use your framework as a template for the internal skeleton that I want to supply with my kits?
  10. FlareBaffled

FlareBaffled Member

Feel free to use the frame as a base.
  11. FlareBaffled

FlareBaffled Member

Been hard pushed to find time for this project, but it is still crawling forward. Engine bay areas are being built now, and the main lumps for that are in. Detail parts are going in to greeble it up, and photo's will follow once that is done. Had some fit issues with the bits here, but it still looks OK when the bits go on. Should have used thicker paper for a few bits ...since they were a bit wobbly to build. Fine when glued in...but a bit flimsy when pushing them fully into place.
  12. CJTK1701

CJTK1701 Banned

Sounds like you've been hard at it. Looking forward to your pics.:mrgreen:
  13. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

Woo, this is got to be the most detailed star destroyer to date......
  14. Millenniumfalsehood

Certainly is. I'm giving it a minor bump to keep it on the front page.
  15. FlareBaffled

FlareBaffled Member

I have not made much progress of late on this project, but it is far from stalled. Work has been done on the engine bay area, plus some other key sections that will allow me to move towards actually starting the tranch work.

I have no intention of abondoning this work.... despite the wife's insistance that it will have 'nowhere to go when you finish it' ....
  16. Millenniumfalsehood

But we always find a place, don't we? :twisted:
  17. CJTK1701

CJTK1701 Banned

To quote Melllvar from "Where No Fan Has Gone Before"..... "He found a way"

I'm sure you'll find a place for it. Looking forward to your updates. :thumb:
  18. CJTK1701

CJTK1701 Banned

How's this going Flare, any progress?
  19. FlareBaffled

FlareBaffled Member

Some more progress has been made .... and I will have some more pictures to post as well :)
  20. CJTK1701

CJTK1701 Banned

Cool beans, can't wait.:thumb: