New guy from Chicago

BASSOFeeSH

Oct 1, 2007
Hi, my name's Jim and I've been lurking around for the past few days.

I'm thinking about getting back into the hobby, and this seems like a great place to learn and share. To make a long story short, my Dad & I had a simple HO layout when I was younger (mid 80's) but all of the pieces were lost/destroyed. Now that I've got my own place I'm trying to figure out if/how I can get back into things.

I'm hoping to convince the wife to let me set an actual layout up in the basement once we get around to building it out. Until then she HAS agreed to let me setup a train that runs around the wall/ceiling.

I'll be starting some threads with questions about that, but after reading the FAQ it seems I need to find the original links to all of the photo's I've just downloaded and archived. (D'oh)

Thanks in advance!

Jim Krause

Apr 7, 2005
Polson, MT
Hi Jim: Great name you have there. Have you thought about On30 scale. It should work well for an around the wall line. Large enough to see from a distance but mostly equipment that will handle smaller radius curves. Regards; Jim K.

BASSOFeeSH

Oct 1, 2007
Thanks for the welcome!

I haven't worked through all of the scale options yet, but I suspect the "prototype" I want to emulate will exclude certain things. I think I'll go start that thread in "General Talk.

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Hi Jim. I have a shelf layout that runs around the rec room (which we don't use as such) that rests on our book/record shelves. (IKEA shelving) The grades are minimal, but I managed a 16 foot square layout that averages 2 feet out from the wall. I think there's a thread with pictures somewhere. An around the wall layout lets you fit in large curves in the corners without sticking too far into the room, so you aren't limited in choice of scale. You can also start with a straight shelf and add on.