New Galactica Detail Build

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Paragon, Dec 21, 2007.

1. Paragon

Paragon Active Member

Today I finally started a project I've been planning for awhile. Partly because I finally worked up the courage, and partly because I was able to get some grey markers from the local art store today, which are absolutely necessary for this particular build:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I've only completed the top bow part so far, but that didn't take too long to do. The model will probably take longer than most models I build, but thats sort of to be expected. I plan to add a lot of detail in multiple places to this model, besides just the ribbing and panels. I plan to make the landing bay interiors, with some clear plastic over the openings of the starboard pods. I'm also going to modify the pod braces, to allow them to fold in all the way as well as making them longer and keeping them from coming apart when pulled out. I'll also remove the blue ends of the engines, and make them deep. They'll probably be "unlit".

Anyway, I thought you all might find that interesting. I probably won't dedicate as much time as I could to it, because I'll still be designing more models of my own.

For those curious, I've been making the ribbing with very thin strips of paper. I use a Prismacolor "Cool Grey 70%" marker to make the paper grey, using it on both sides, and making sure to press hard and go over the same areas several times, that way when I cut out the ribs, they're grey all the way through already. Then I just fold the strips in half, to make them a little thicker, and glue them to the base model. That means the ribs are as tall as two layers of 110 lb paper. Then I cut the panels out of a second print out of the model, and glue them on top of the ribs (I make the ribs go all the way around, including the parts where it doesn't show ribs).

[​IMG]
  2. OylPslyk

OylPslyk Aspiring Usurper

wow, nice!
    opened up a pic, thought wow, thats a lot a tiny parts..
    repeat,
    repeat,
    read a little of the rest...
    opened last pic and thought - DAM! that a lot a tiny parts in a tiny dam space!

didnt get the scale till I saw the marker!

sign1 keep up the good work!
  3. ekuth

ekuth Guest

jawdrop
  4. Nothing

Nothing Longtime Member

wow that is small!! i now a good shrink if you whant his number. lol.

looking good!!
  5. Master-Bruce

Master-Bruce Active Member

Very nice!! Especially for the size!

I'll be doing the same for a larger Galactica when we've finally got to it. Just as you are doing yours, only I'm hoping to get to do a 3' version. I'd like to try and get the battle damage for a Season 3 version of it too.

But I'm a way from doing that yet.

Keep the pics coming buddy! :)
  6. Paragon

Paragon Active Member

Another update after a decent bit of work from last night and this morning:

I made two structural changes to the model with this next step of construction. First was to the flight pod pylons. I made them curved instead of the way the kit calls for them to be built, and I cut slits in the center of the internal pylon. Then I ran a small piece of cardstock in the slits, and glued them to the external pylons. This way, the pylons don't come off when you pull them too far, and ensure that you can get maximum extension without pulling one side out and having to fit it back in, which can be a pain.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The next major structural change I made was to the midship top section, where the pylons are housed. Jaybat's kit is great, but the shape of this part on his kit is very inaccurate. All I did was make an extra score along each side of the "spine" in the center, and fold the intended score in the opposite direction. This resulted in what I think is a relatively accurate shape.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And of course, I've begun applying ribs and plating. After finishing a bit of it, I decided to connect the two pieces together. I also took some pictures of it without flash, which makes it look a lot better.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  7. ekuth

ekuth Guest

Looking mighty fine!

Always turn the flash off when taking pics. For most digital cameras, the ambient light is more than enough. Also see if you have a macro mode on your camera... for those close up shots, it's really good to use! :thumb:
  8. OylPslyk

9. Paragon

Paragon Active Member

I'm only coloring edges and the ribs, the rest is printed.
  10. Master-Bruce

Lookin' awesome there. :)
  11. CJTK1701

CJTK1701 Banned

Wow! That's just....... Wow!?!? How do you do it? I cannot work on stuff that small. Do you employ elves?:confused::mrgreen:
  12. ekuth

ekuth Guest

Elves have had extremely strict labor regulations ever since the Elves v. Shoemaker court ruling of 1232.

As a result, gnomes are much easier to work with, and provide a fine level of detail. Although they do demand frequent "garden breaks".

:mrgreen:
  13. CJTK1701

CJTK1701 Banned

Ah, I see. They do tend to roam then, I guess?:mrgreen:
  14. Paragon

Paragon Active Member

Heh, actually, I did get a little help on this last night...though not from elves or gnomes. My girlfriend Kelley came over for awhile, and later in the evening while we were watching some television she helped me out by cutting a whole lot of ribs for me while I glued them to the hull. As a result, the bottom hull and bottom engines are assembled and have been completely "ribbed". I'm off to a movie with her now, but afterward I'll put on all of the panels, and post images of the progress.

I also whipped up some landing bays in Photoshop earlier and printed them out. We'll see how well they work when I build the flight pods. Those, plus the top engines, by the way, are the only parts left to assemble.

Its certainly nice to have a girl that not only puts up with my obsessions, but occasionally humors them. Yeah, she's a keeper. [/brag]
  15. Master-Bruce

Lucky devil! Mine has no time for this hobby at all. Although e does tollerate me putting models here and there when I've finished building them.

Looking forward to seeing more of this build. :)
  16. OylPslyk

lol, and dont ever forget it! lol
  17. Paragon

Paragon Active Member

Actually she's not much different. She tried to do one before but said she didn't have the patience for the cutting. The only reason this was any different is because I've been using scissors to cut the ribs, and she's comfortable with those.

Anyway, I finally have some new pictures, for those of you interested. Last night I got carried away with construction and instead of stopping and taking pictures when I finished the bottom of the hull, I went on and constructed the entire port flight pod, including the specially designed landing bay, which I think turned out very well. You may notice it looks a little sloppy at the mouth of the landing bay; I've since worked on it to make it look a little better, but don't have any pictures of that. I guess its sort of to be expected when I build something that small.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  18. Nothing

Nothing Longtime Member

nicly done! hard to tell but what did you do with the guns? is it just a cut out and glued on? it does add some depth and detail. i like it!
  19. Paragon

Paragon Active Member

Yeah, just cut out and glued on for now. We'll see if I do anything else with them.
  20. Tirta

Tirta Member

Hi Paragon,

It looks very good!
    I am looking forward for more pictures. :D :D :D