new f3

Matt Probst

Mar 15, 2002
Hershey,Pa.
Visit site
Hi folks! Been eons since I've stopped in but never fear...I'm still workin' on the railroad. Bought a new digital camera finally. Here's the very 1st pic.... hope this comes out!......

Matt

Matt Probst

Mar 15, 2002
Hershey,Pa.
Visit site
well...that didn't work out. file size was too big...I can't seem to figure out how to resize the file. I did manage to reduce the pixels to 640w by 480t.. I'll keep at it I guess. :mad:

Matt

brakie

Nov 8, 2001
Bucyrus,Ohio
Visit site
If you like e-mail your pix to me and I will be more then happy yo resize it and post it for you or I can send it back to you..Let me know :thumb: .

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Matt,

I have a how-to on posting pics here, which you don't need, but it does include a way of using a photo program to resize to fit and make to file size fit as well. Take a look, but basically if you have the pixel size down, and the photo file size is still too big, what you need to do is to reduce the quality until you get it down below 65K. I find if a picture from my 5 megapixel camera gives me just over one meg file size and a pixel size of like 2560 x1920, when I reduce that to 640 x 480, it's still around 110K. If I reduce the quality to around 92%, I can get that down to under 64K.

Let me know if you're still having problems and let's see if we can't worth through it.

Matt Probst

Mar 15, 2002
Hershey,Pa.
Visit site
Hey Don...I read your instructional before attempting to post a pic but the couple different photo programs I have don't seem to have a way to reduce the file, only the pixels. (I can use Kodak Easy Share, Kodak Imaging or Corel House if that gives you any idea what I'm up against....) If you're familiar w/ those let me know and sometime in the next day or so I'll try to get it down to 92%..Thanks ! :)
(Also I bought a Kodak DX6730 6.1 MPixel if you need to know... ) This is like "re-learning" how to walk!

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Matt

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Matt,

I have never used that one program I did the example with until then. I just wanted to see if it would be difficult. Most programs have similar menus and functions though. OK, if you can't find "photo optimizer" or "optimize picture" or something like that, maybe in the file "export". I have Corel photo house but it wouldn't open saying that it wouldn't open with NT or XP. There are several photo programs you can find for free. I am a beta tester for Serif software and have just finished beta testing their latest photo program. It doesn't cost much, but they have a habit of giving away older releases. The current release is version 9, but you can get version 6 here: http://www.freeserifsoftware.com/ for free. You can also get several other programs they have like PagePlus which is a desktop publishing program. This is very handy as well, and I use it often to combine pictures with text, or several pictures. You can find it at the same place.

I can guide you through that one step by step if need be.

Matt Probst

Mar 15, 2002
Hershey,Pa.
Visit site
well....here goes nuthin'... I managed to reduce the file to within specs for this board, but it made the image quality very poor...guess I gotta keep fiddling w/ it,.

matt

Attachments

• My Pictures.jpg
    My Pictures.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 26

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Matt,

I took your picture and resized it to almost twixe what you had, then I adjusted the levels and saved it at 91%. This is what I came up with. You don't have to reduce your picture size smaller than the allowed 640 x 480 pixels to get the file size down. Yes, you lose quality, but it just won't show that much on a computer monitor. Keep it high for printing, but not to display.

Attachments

• Matts train.jpg
    Matts train.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 32

Matt Probst

Mar 15, 2002
Hershey,Pa.
Visit site
Thanks guys... Not sure how I can attain the clarity of the pics though with the decreased file sizes. There are many other pics in this forum with a whole lotta better quality with the same file size I'm assuming...How do you guys do it? Maybe it's the software itself.. Any input is certainly appreciated!!!

Matt

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Matt Probst said:
Thanks guys... Not sure how I can attain the clarity of the pics though with the decreased file sizes. There are many other pics in this forum with a whole lotta better quality with the same file size I'm assuming...How do you guys do it? Maybe it's the software itself.. Any input is certainly appreciated!!!

Matt
Matt,

What application are you using for your photos? I just tried Paint, and it is too limited to work. There are several free applications that you can download that will work. I gave you a link to one of them. PhotoPlus.

In any event, whatever you are using, you must first reduce the PIXELS, set then so that they are about 640 x 480. I increase your picture in the post above to that and you can see the difference in the physical size, twice as big. I could not improve on the clarity though since I was working with your reduced picture to start with. After you get the pixels so the physical size will fit, then you reduce the file size by reducing the "picture quality" %.

Let me know what application you are using and I'll see if I can walk you through it.

Matt Probst

Mar 15, 2002
Hershey,Pa.
Visit site
Hi Don...Thanks for taking your time and interest in helping out this ole non-puter literate guy! :eek:ops: . 1st of all, when I transfer pics from the camera they go directly to my Kodak software program where I can perform various editing and store them in an album. Then I can "save-as" and put them wherever I like such as in Windows under "my documents/my pictures" or open them in Corel and save there if I like. The Kodak software seems a bit limited in what you can do with editing and the Corel software is maybe a wee bit better.
I'm very busy this week with work but if I get time I may try your download and see what I get....

Thank You For your Help! :wave:
Matt

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Matt,

I guess everyone has their own way of doing things, but here's what I do. I have an Olympus C-5000 but I don't use the software that came with it. I think I did install the USB drivers though. When I plug my camera into the USB port, it doesn't open any photo software, but it does look like a new drive letter on my computer. All the photos there are stored as .jpg's, and I simply use a file manager (Win Explorer will do) and drag and drop them to a folder I create on my hard drive. If I double-click on an image, Windows opens a media viewer for me and I can scan through the images, either on my camera, or where I just copied the images to. That way I can take note of those that I want to work with and those I might just want to trash. The neat thing about doing this is that I can view, delete or copy specific images right from Windows without going to any photo app. I can also use Windows to directly clear all the images from my camera. If I do that through the camera, I have to drill through several menus n the back of the camera and then it takes a few minutes to clear them all. Deleting them through Windows is as easy as dragging them all the the trash bin and take seconds.

Now since all my images are now on my hard drive, I can open my photo app, such as, PhotoPlus, and "open" the picture I want. I can then crop out what I don't want, adjust contrast and other things, then readjust the size and quality and save it to another folder, or change its name to something that ID's the picture better than a bunch of numbers. I do that so that I won't lose the original since if I want to print it, I want to readjust the size to fit the paper and get the highest quality I can. So now I may have three copies of the same picture on my HD. The original, one for printing, and one for uploading or sharing with others on the net.

Like I said, others may do it differently, but this works for me so I'm sticking to it until something else looks easier. :D

When you download PhotoPlus, let me know and I'll walk you through the steps. :wave: