New Extention 2 My HO Layout

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
KCS said:
Josh, where did you get that ADM kit from? I shopped around at Walthers and the one I ound was small compaired to that one unless you built two kits into one? The one you have is more of what I'm looking for. Do you have a ink to where I might find one?

The ADM kit was bought at my local hobby shop and I kitbashed the medusa cement plant into it to. I added the silos from both kits together to make 1 long row. I also took the rooftop details from the medusa cement plant and added them on.

There is also silo add-on's but they are hard to find. Hope that helps.

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
green_elite_cab said:
is there a prototype for a cement plant like this? at first i thought you could probably pass it off as a cement plant, but i started noticing that most cement plants i've have a vastly different shape... I googled it to, couldn't find anything like that.

No, there is no prototype cement plant like this that I have ever seen. I made this one up all by my self and designed it to be one of a kind and a massive concrete plant.:D :D :D :D

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
Ok, the cement plant is nealy done. I decided that I did not like the conveyor housing that I made out of cardboard so I used the one that came with the ADM building and added onto it. I also added yellow ladders on the roofs and added many decals (most of which you can't see)

Attachments

• main building.jpg
    main building.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 145
  • side 1.jpg
    side 1.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 145
  • Front machinery.jpg
    Front machinery.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 145
  • back machinery.jpg
    back machinery.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 146
  • top machinery.jpg
    top machinery.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 147

green_elite_cab

Keep It Moving!
TruckLover said:
No, there is no prototype cement plant like this that I have ever seen. I made this one up all by my self and designed it to be one of a kind and a massive concrete plant.:D :D :D :D

no, but what i'm saying is that cement plants don't even remotely look like the ADM grain building you are using. they have more conveyors, with silos dumping into tumbler things and what not.

JAyers

Real Cement plant

I disagree! here's a few shots of the St Mary's Cement Plant in Ontario. Sure, there's a lot of other stuff, but the silos and elevator are there, along with the conveyor. Probably want to add a monster pile of sand and aggregate somewhere.

Attachments

• 2CPTLStMarysMED3.JPG
    2CPTLStMarysMED3.JPG
    29.4 KB · Views: 136
  • 1CPTLBwmnvlPlntmed.JPG
    1CPTLBwmnvlPlntmed.JPG
    33.8 KB · Views: 136

green_elite_cab

Keep It Moving!
JAyers said:
I disagree! here's a few shots of the St Mary's Cement Plant in Ontario. Sure, there's a lot of other stuff, but the silos and elevator are there, along with the conveyor. Probably want to add a monster pile of sand and aggregate somewhere.

but look St. Mary's here has completely different machinery, and the stuff on the silos is all different, not to mention there being a whole lot more machinery then what can be passed off in a building who's real life counterpart is a grain elevator. The components of the kit may have been used, but the parts as they are built here just look to much like a grain elevator in my opinion.

thats probably not a bad idea though, considering he has magic pan bakeries somewhere on the line. he could have local delivering grain from the elevator to the bakery. he'd only need a different kind of covered hopper. otherwise nothing would really change.

Trucklover - I love what you've done! It looks like it would be fun to operate as well. Consider this - because the ADM grain elevator is so familiar to all HO modelers, it will always be visible to us. However, your non-modeling audience will be impressed and have no problem accepting what you've done. Does it work for you? Does it make you smile? If so, hats off - that's the toughest part.

doctorwayne

I think that Rusty makes a good point, Josh. I used the ADM grain elevator, plus the Walthers Red Wing Milling plant to build GERN Industries, which is actually based, loosely, on a salt mining operation. To some it may look like a grain elevator, to others, perhaps it's just a collection of Walthers buidings run amok, but to me, it looks exactly like a flux mining and milling operation. And while I understand completely what g_e_c is saying, most of our models, particularily structures, are representations of what they're supposed to be. Some may be more accurate than others, but most of us have neither the space nor the knowledge to faithfully reproduce most industries big enough to be served by rail.

Wayne

jflessne

My plan actually incorporates and older style grain outfit that was on a smaller Scale.

Walthers Part # 933-3036 That ADM deal is huge.

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
JAyers said:

Hey, thanks for the pictures JAyers, Those are awsome and I really appreciate you posting them for me. And yes, there will be gigantic sand and aggregatepiles:D :D :D :D :D

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
green_elite_cab said:
but look St. Mary's here has completely different machinery, and the stuff on the silos is all different, not to mention there being a whole lot more machinery then what can be passed off in a building who's real life counterpart is a grain elevator. The components of the kit may have been used, but the parts as they are built here just look to much like a grain elevator in my opinion.

Going back to what I had said earlyer in this thread, I have this space and having only the small ADM building with it's row of 4 silos just did not apeal to me. I wanted to be able to unload/load covered hopperes and unload open hoppers in the same operation. This is a concrete plant were various aggregates are broght in by covered hoppers and open hoppers and powdered cement and concrete are prodused and shipped outin Cement Covered Hoppers and cement trucks. This is how I cameup with it and I am happy with it how it is. Thanks for your input though g_e_c

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
Rusty Spike said:
Trucklover - I love what you've done! It looks like it would be fun to operate as well. Consider this - because the ADM grain elevator is so familiar to all HO modelers, it will always be visible to us. However, your non-modeling audience will be impressed and have no problem accepting what you've done. Does it work for you? Does it make you smile? If so, hats off - that's the toughest part.

Thanks Rusty and Wayne, I like what I have done to it to and I think that it is eye catching. I could really care less if people know what it represents (even though it says Hoffa Cement on the side), what matters to me is that I know what it is and I like how it looks.:thumb: :thumb: :D :D :D

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
KATY said:
If you say it's a cement plant then that's what it is. It's your railroad!:wave:

KATY, Thanks

jflessne, that is a cool grain elevator and I was thinking of getting it to but it is a little to old looking for my era.

viperman

Katy's post sums it up perfectly. It is whatever you say it is. You built it, you decorated it, and you will "plant" it. Who are we to tell you what it is?

BTW, it does look very nice, and you did great job building it

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
Thanks Again Steven, My dad and my grandparents said it looks pretty cool to.

Thanks for your comments and suggestions everyone, I really do find them hepful.:) :) :D :D

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Josh,

If you did want to make it more traditionally cement-plant-ish, you could always do it with an appropriate backdrop that would give it more of an industrial flavour (if that's the right weay to say it)... Pictures from google images or other sources could be used to fill in the background with the "right" kind of buildings.

Love the name of the plant BTW... :D

Andrew

crabster

Nice layout!

The only thing I would suggest is that you move the industry forward a bit. The way it sits now it appears you can only load 1 hopper, unless the track extends further back than the plan shows. Moving it forward would allow you to load a string of hoppers.

I've seen people do this with some coal mines too. The track dead ends right under the tipple instead of beyond the mine. Then they would have 6-7 hoppers lined up only to have one car under the tipple against the bumper. I guess it's ok if you want a token industry on the layout............

Ok, onto your actual structure you built. FANTASTIC! I really like it. And yes it does look like it could pass for either grain or cement. As someone already posted, there are cement facilities that look very similar to what you built.

Cool layout you have there. :thumb: Good luck with it!

TruckLover said:
Ok, here is the new one,

I took the top track out, moved the bottom switch far left and added a road for the cement trucks. The road also serves as access for dump trucks for the sand piles.

green_elite_cab

Keep It Moving!
TruckLover said:
Going back to what I had said earlyer in this thread, I have this space and having only the small ADM building with it's row of 4 silos just did not apeal to me. I wanted to be able to unload/load covered hopperes and unload open hoppers in the same operation. This is a concrete plant were various aggregates are broght in by covered hoppers and open hoppers and powdered cement and concrete are prodused and shipped outin Cement Covered Hoppers and cement trucks. This is how I cameup with it and I am happy with it how it is. Thanks for your input though g_e_c

yeah, i was just pointing out that there are more realistic structures available, and i've seen some interesting cement plants with drag loaders and stuff which i thought was pretty cool. if you have the space, you should try building one of them.

the ADM building is impressive though! i wish i had space on my layout for new stuff.

green_elite_cab

Keep It Moving!
crabster said:
The only thing I would suggest is that you move the industry forward a bit. The way it sits now it appears you can only load 1 hopper, unless the track extends further back than the plan shows. Moving it forward would allow you to load a string of hoppers.

I've seen people do this with some coal mines too. The track dead ends right under the tipple instead of beyond the mine. Then they would have 6-7 hoppers lined up only to have one car under the tipple against the bumper. I guess it's ok if you want a token industry on the layout............

Ok, onto your actual structure you built. FANTASTIC! I really like it. And yes it does look like it could pass for either grain or cement. As someone already posted, there are cement facilities that look very similar to what you built.

Cool layout you have there. :thumb: Good luck with it!

I second crabster's advice. Moving it forward, or maye repositioning the building so that the silos go back and the build is more forward. out of curiosity, are the silos butted together, or is there space? and how big exactly is your stucture?