New challenges start on April 1

ezdays

Out AZ way
OK, based on our discussions and who I think has said they'd enter, here's the plan:

Scratchbuilt challenge will be as follows:
  • Get a photograph of a structure, any structure, then scratchbuild or kitbash a model of that structure. The idea is to come as close to the real thing as you can. The picture of the original structure does not have to be taken by you, but you must also post a picture of it, or a link to it if you found it somewhere on the Net. The surrounding scenery and details, such as people, vehicles and trees need not be the same, but it can be. However, the structure needs to be as close as you can get to it. Any scale (except full
    biggrin.gif
    ) will do.
From what I can determine, the following are going to participate in the scratchbuilt challenge:
  1. woodone
  2. cnw1961
  3. MasonJar
  4. ezdays
  5. Wabash Banks
  6. ocalicreek
  7. MadHatter
  8. Thoroughbreed
  9. Play-Doh
Kitbuild challenge will be as follows:
  • Just build a kit using only the parts in the box for the structure only. You may paint and weather the structure and make cosmetic changes, but you cannot add anything that does not come with the kit. You can though, add other details as scenery around the structure. This will allow you to do from a "let it look like the picture on the box" to "I built it like the instructions says, but I've enhanced it with weathering, different paint and scenery" to "I used all the parts in the box and this is what I came up with". The choice is yours.
So far we have the following participants for the kit challenge:
  1. trainsteve2434
  2. steamhead
  3. pfs
  4. scubadude
  5. jlg759
  6. TrainsWinnipeg
  7. TrainNut
  8. stripes
I've also got these names that I'm not sure if they've agreed to enter or not,:confused: and if so, which challenge they want to enter in.
  1. combat
  2. southern4449
So that we get off on the right foot, anyone that isn't on the list and wants to be, let me know in this thread. Anyone that's here but decided not to enter, let me know as well including those that said "maybe".

We're going to try something different this time by opening up a sub-forum strictly for the current challenges. Like last time, each person that enters, can open up a thread and post their progress pictures and comments from anybody are welcome.

Please, wait until I open up the new sub-forum before you open your challenge thread. I will post a thread there when we are ready to start.

Thanks,

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
are there going to be more of these?

I will be getting some buildings in late June/early July for my B-day from my grandparents and I would like to enter in the "Kit Challege"

Also, can we use buildings that were built a few months ago? I have the Walthers N scale Blast Furnace that I did and took pictures of as I built it. I did not add anything besides what was in/came with the kit, all I did was paint it and weather a tad. I would love to enter this months contest if I can :D

ezdays

Out AZ way
OK, moved your name TrainNut...:thumb:

Yes, there will be more of these, and no, in all fairness, I don't think we can allow you to use a kit that is already finished. Yeah, yeah, I know, :cry: but the idea is to start with a blank slate when the challenge opens... Go find another kit, that's when the fun begins..:wave:

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
ezdays said:
OK, moved your name TrainNut...:thumb:

Yes, there will be more of these, and no, in all fairness, I don't think we can allow you to use a kit that is already finished. Yeah, yeah, I know, :cry: but the idea is to start with a blank slate when the challenge opens... Go find another kit, that's when the fun begins..:wave:

:cry: sign1 It is ok, I will be a man about this one :thumb: :D

I understand and I am going to be in the one's to come. I think that the next building I will be building is the Walthers N scale Rolling Mills (2 kits bashed together) or the Walthers HO scale United Petroleum Refinery. :D :D :D

BTW, thanks for the quick responce.

I would like to compete in the "scratchbuild" challenge, as there is a trestle and bridge that spans the Chattahoochee River leading to the Alabama state docks. This trestle and bridge as far as I can tell, dates to about 1910??
I can use premade bridge kits and cut-to-fit right? I will have to make a small diorama, as the elevation changes before the bridge sections begin.:thumb:

ezdays

Out AZ way
Thoroughbreed said:
I would like to compete in the "scratchbuild" challenge, as there is a trestle and bridge that spans the Chattahoochee River leading to the Alabama state docks. This trestle and bridge as far as I can tell, dates to about 1910??
I can use premade bridge kits and cut-to-fit right? I will have to make a small diorama, as the elevation changes before the bridge sections begin.:thumb:
Yeah, you can scratchbuild/kitbash/use ready-made parts, it's the results that counts. Make it as close to the original as you can get...

Your name has been added to the list.:wave: Welcome..

pfs

Excited here, I want to mention I am using a Japaneese kit and planned on using some English decals to replace the Japaneese letters/numbers. If anyone in the kitbuild challenge takes offense to this I will try to skip decals until aftet the challenge. (but would rather not)

-pfs (paul)

stripes

I would like to be entered in The kit built challenge. I will be building RSLASERS "Saw Filers Shack"

David

ezdays

Out AZ way
Okey-dokey, I've updated the lists. We now have nine that plan on entering to scratchbuild and eight for the kitbuild. Just in case you haven't noticed, I've opened a new subforum for everyone to start their challenge threads in.

jbaakko

Are we going to do the same ideas monthly? I have a major scratch build project looming whcih would blow everyone away!

ezdays

Out AZ way
jbaakko said:
Are we going to do the same ideas monthly? I have a major scratch build project looming whcih would blow everyone away!
We've been running them about three times a year. Too many and we lose interest or get overloaded. We also try to change the challenge each time. We also like to give people time to complete their projects.

jbaakko

ezdays said:
We've been running them about three times a year. Too many and we lose interest or get overloaded. We also try to change the challenge each time. We also like to give people time to complete their projects.
Ok, cool, I'll build up some of the stuff and wait for the next scratch build structure one, cause I know I won't get it this time.

ezdays

Out AZ way
jbaakko said:
Ok, cool, I'll build up some of the stuff and wait for the next scratch build structure one, cause I know I won't get it this time.
Well, the idea behind these challenges is to get people to start off fresh and to complete a project from start to finish during the period of the challenge. If you have a scratchbuild project in mind that you haven't started on yet, now is the time to enter. At this point I haven't even made up my mind what I'm going to do for this challenge.:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

jbaakko

ezdays said:
Well, the idea behind these challenges is to get people to start off fresh and to complete a project from start to finish during the period of the challenge. If you have a scratchbuild project in mind that you haven't started on yet, now is the time to enter. At this point I haven't even made up my mind what I'm going to do for this challenge.:rolleyes: :rolleyes:
I was thinking that, but I don't think I can get around to ordering anything I need for it in the next 3 months (its every 3 months right?).