New camera but no Macro...sigh

I just got a new digicam and it has lots of features, including AVI movies and tv out. whee! but unfortunately no macro. So...here's a shot taken through my optivisor lens of my new P2k 0-8-0 switcher.

0-8-0April-5.jpg

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Have you got an optical zoom on the camera? If yes, try backing up a bit, and then zooming in on the detail.

Macro is great for close-up work on flowers and things like that, but in the real world, you wouldn't shoot trains with a macro. Using the telephoto approach can compress distances, making the scene look a bit flat, but it also helps avoid the "fish-eye" distortion when using a wide angle at close range in order to fit the entire scene in.

Hope that helps. The 0-8-0 looks great...! I really like my P2K 0-6-0. :D

Andrew

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Hi Tony,
Having some photo problems are you, okay, need to know what the camera is and can do. In other words how big a photo will it take and in what format. i.e. tiff/jpg/bmp or other. Tell me if you can take a large photo say A3 size, if you can then it will be easy to crop out a portion and still not lose quality.
Here's a photo I took today to show you what I mean, this photo was hugh A3+ size and I cropped out the man from it.
Here's the photo which has been reduced from the original by 23%
mac01.jpg

Shamus

Attachments

• mac.jpg
    mac.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 84

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
www.2guyzandsumtrains.com
I can't see the piccy, Tony :cry:

Like Shamus said, if you have hte megapixals, you can crop and have an effective macro. You might run into trouble doing this with a 1 or 2 MP camera, but you can crop a lot away from a 3 MP image, and even more with 4 or 5 MPs.

Also, if it has a threaded lense, you might be able to get some close-up filters at a camera shop or mail order. If it doesn't have TTL focus, this might mess up autofocus tho.

Thanks for the tips guys, but sadly what I have is a toy and can do none of those clever things. It is 2.1 mp and has flash and an LCD takes movies and will play back on a tv. No close up or focusing but it did cost just over $100 CDN about 45 Quid so I wasn't expecting much and it is great fun;
lightbender-cam.jpg

I bought it because it was cheap and I got caught up in a buying frenzy with fellow Otters Shaywen, shown with her new camera;
shaywen-cam.jpg

and Wiebe shown with his taken with my camera;
wiebe-cam.jpg

The manual doesn't want me taking any dirty pictures as this excerpt shows;
no-shit.jpg

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
www.2guyzandsumtrains.com
The manual doesn't want me taking any dirty pictures as this excerpt shows;

Then you better not! :D :D :D

You can still do a fair amout of cropping to get down to the 640 X 480 mallowed to post here, and reasonable for e-mail or posting anywhere. And your first shot is focused towards the back, I see rivets! It's near macro. And you're right, they are a lot of fun!!! It may take experimentation, but I'll bet you will get some great close up shots with that baby.;)