New Battlestar Galactica Hangar Bay

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Revell-Fan, Sep 4, 2012.

1. Revell-Fan

Revell-Fan Co-Administrator Administrator Moderator

@Dan: I have returned to this project for exactly that resaon. I'm preparing a part of the bay consisting of the complete repair bay including the tool room, the red door on the left and a part of the floor. I'm doing it in 1:32 scale to push the original project forward but will rescale everything to 1:50.

@silveroxide: Thank you very much!
  2. DanBKing

DanBKing Dan the Man

Cool!!!!! Are you making everything modular ???????

I know it may not follow the film set layout exactly, but with my own added artistic licence, I want to create a diorama that is in a corner of a (fictional) hanger bay, with a similar configuration to yours.
    With one ship in full skin (Apollo's) and one in repair (Starbuck's as usual...:cry:)

If everything was modular in the model hanger parts, they could be set up in various configurations.........:cool:

Or, otherwise I will just hack into your 1/50 version with my trusty knife and scalpel.......:mrgreen:

Whatever happens, with the fantastic UHU02 :inw: Viper(s) and your hanger bay, however we do our individual dioramas, they are gonna be one hell of a display to be proud of!!!!!!:thumb::thumb::thumb:
  3. Revell-Fan

In principle the small one will be modular like the big one. I have been thinking about using magnets on the big one for fast assembly and disassembly but I don't know if I have the time to test that on the small one. At the current state of development the basic set consists of

1x big wall with red door
    1x tool room
    1x broken / interrupted wall element
    1x regular wall element
    1x long catwalk
    approx. 1/3 of the floor.

You will be able to build either the entire repair bay area or extend it according to your needs to make the hangar half a mile long. The only thing you would have to alter when you deviate from the standard configuration would be the markings on the floor (which tell you where the single elements go), but that shouldn't be a big problem.

In the end it should look like in this screenshot from "Flight of the Phoenix":

[​IMG]

Red door & tool room on the left, repair bay, broken wall & catwalk in the middle, regular wall on the right plus floor.
  4. Revell-Fan

A first look at the accessories.

Attached Files:

5. Revell-Fan

The tool cabinet comes in two colour schemes, brown-gold and blue-silver. This was due to the fact that Lee Stringer's pictures have a reddish-brown tint. The pictures from the auction catalogues show the cabinet under normal light where it appears blue instead of brown. The brown version looks nice though so I give you two of them.

Meanwhile I have determined the final size of the display: 125 cm x 112 cm / 49.2" x 44.1" (see attachment). You will need 35 pages for it ( :eek: ) . However, as stated above, everything is modular, so if you only need a part of it, then you can save some paper (and ink) :cool: .

The smaller display version for UHU's Viper will consist of the 4 x 4 pages in the upper right corner.

Attached Files:

6. DanBKing

DanBKing Dan the Man

:thumb::thumb:
  7. Revell-Fan

A revision of the tool room door. Now it is fully 3D, it has a fitting back side and a working hinge mechanism.

Attached Files:

8. silveroxide

silveroxide Well-Known Member

Thanks for the designs, I am always on the lookout for references, especially the Hangar bay, since I may do one or at least a section for my Viper.
  9. Rogerio Silva

Rogerio Silva Active Member

RF

Man, that door is gonna be a model itself! GREAT WORK!
  10. Revell-Fan

I'll be finishing the texture of the floor next week and will then continue with unfolding the door. Meanwhile I had another idea concerning the tool room. Since the interior seems to be buildable even at 1:50 a small change of the texture of two of the wall elements and a new unfold of the tool room parts have become necessary. The final step of the design process will be adding pegs and peg holes to the components for easy assembly and disassembly. Using magnets for assembly might be too tricky so I'm pursuing a more practical solution. The single parts will be held in place in a similar way as the necks of my Crichton figure. I hope to be able to introduce a standard peg and a standard peg hole which can be copied and placed wherever necessary.

Thanks! Yes, you have fully got the concept. :thumb: Each component will be a model of its own which will be even more apparent with the big version. However, I fear the amount of paper required to build ALL components will scare many people off, but I sincerely hope that there will be someone who is going to make them (at least the smaller version :rolleyes: ).
  11. Rogerio Silva

Rogerio Silva Active Member

Don't worry about it, man, 'cos you've already made it modular. That's the thing, you can do it in your own pace, whenever you have the resources.
  12. Revell-Fan

Good point, too! :thumb:
  13. Revell-Fan

The markings on the floor are set. Next will be the pegs and peg holes to hold the single components together.

Attached Files:

14. DanBKing

DanBKing Dan the Man

Coming along nicely there, R-F :thumb::thumb:
  15. silveroxide

silveroxide Well-Known Member

Thanks for the floor plan. One thing about making it modular, is that you can stack the bays for storage and they also serve as a protection for the Vipers and Raptors. See you around the forum.
  16. Lee_156

Lee_156 New Member

just read this thread for the first time, wow looks incredible! any updates?
  17. Revell-Fan

Next year I will start a first test build in a smaller scale. :)
    bgt01 likes this.