New Athearn Gp40x

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
I stopped by my local hobby shop today, and they had the new Athearn gp40x's in stock. I bought one, and I can't believe the detail. It is Athearn r-t-r line, but it has detail like a Genesis model. We ran it on their test oval, and it runs so smooth and slow that I couldn't believe it. All in all the locomotive is awsome!

Me Too

My last couple of loco's have been Athearn, and I am very well pleased with them, I think they have decided to stay in the game, they would have to build better product, even if they have to raise their prices a little, in my opinion, their products have gotten quite realistic with detail, and to my thinking, they run as well as my Kato's. Thank's for the heads up, and Enjoy my friend.:)

LongIslandTom

Apr 8, 2006
Long Island, NY
That GP40X sure is a sweet engine...

Now if a third-party detail part maker like Details West will come out with the HT-B truck sideframes that would be real cool.. (UP and SP's GP40Xes have the experimental HT-B trucks rather than the Blombergs).

Attachments

• pictures_4162_up9999x.jpg
    pictures_4162_up9999x.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 105

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
Athearn bought Railpower Products before they sold out to Horizon. Railpower did the HT-B side frame. At this time all they are offering is Santa Fe, Southern high hood, & St. Lawrence & Atlantic. If the St Lawrence & Atlantic is correct, and since BNSF still has all of the Santa Fe gp40x's, I would presume that the St Lawrence & Atlantic are exU.P. engines. I would expect a subsequent run of gp40x in S.P. with the correct trucks.

Triplex

Aug 24, 2005
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
If the St Lawrence & Atlantic is correct, and since BNSF still has all of the Santa Fe gp40x's, I would presume that the St Lawrence & Atlantic are exU.P. engines.
I seem to recall that the StL&A engines are actually ex-Southern/NS with the noses chopped. They don't have HT-Bs.

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
Triplex said:
I seem to recall that the StL&A engines are actually ex-Southern/NS with the noses chopped. They don't have HT-Bs.

You are probably correct, I had never heard of the St Lawrence & Atlantic until I saw the Athearn models. Did the U.P. engines have the HT-Bs? I thought it was just S.P. that had those trucks.