New at DCC

L

lester perry

I am in the process of change to DCC with sound, the sound sold me on it. I now have 2 locos with dcc both are factory installed both will run dc or dcc. I just ordered 2 soundtraxx decoders fo P2K GP7s. This will make 4 DCC locos out of around 50 total. If I leave a DCC loco on the track & run DC will it fry the decoder?
Les

L

lester perry

I am not wanting to run dcc equiped loco on dc. Just concerned about damaging decoder if dc is applied.
Les

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Well, the exact quote is it "will remain inoperative", with no mention of damage.

What decoders are you getting for the GP's? Take a look in the instructions for that decoder, or search at www.soundtraxx.com

If you cannot find the answer, you could always wait to run them until you have switched to you selected DCC system.

Andrew

Woodie

Lester,

All the DCC decoders i have (albeit basic NCE ones) will happily sit on a DC track. They have a CV in then (yes/no) as to whether the loco will perform/run on a DC track. Set the CV to yes, and the loco happily works with DC. Set it to no, and it just sits, there and doesn't respond to DC. So these decoders are fine with DC.

Check your decoder doco and see if it has a CV for DC ops. (yes/no). I forget which CV it is for mine, but the NMRA standard should mean it has one.

Gary Pfeil

I'm not sure if sitting on a dc powered track will damage Soundtrax decoders. I know until the Tsunami, they won't operate on DC. I think there is a possibility DC may damage them and it would be worthwhile finding out for sure. I suggest asking on the Yahoo Soundtrax group, you'll get an answer quickly there.

Les,as you know i have been into DCC for a while now.Your sound decoders will not be harmed if left on track (DC or DCC).If you need some help with them(not saying you don't know how to install them)give me a ring and i would be more than happy to help(if i can).

L

lester perry

Well Hello there stranger. Hows life been treating you? I contacted Sondtraxx and they said it would cook the decoder so I am not taking any chances.
Les.

L

lester perry

Harold I am using DSDLL1101C or maybe it is 820070 both number are on the card that came with them. It says they are for Proto 2000 GP7 & GP9. I am haveing no problem with it though.
Les

Les ,i've got a few of the DSD series and am happy with them except for the volume for the engine ramping,the horn and bell are up to snuff.Good luck with them.it also has the switching feature with it. Harold

Jim Krause

Reference Mason Jars post (1-10-06) on using Soundtraxx equipped locomotives with DC, my Bachmann Shay has nice big orange warning stickers on the box telling me "NO". Damage to the locomotive will result. I think this is because of the particular decoder installed in this loco. LC series.

>

Len Marinaccio

lester perry said:
If I leave a DCC loco on the track & run DC will it fry the decoder?
Les
Interesting. I'd like to ask if anyone has ever had a decoder fry on a DC track! Barring really bad design, I don't know how it's possible. It would seem to me that the rail connections first go into a bridge rectifier which is happy with DC and AC and will produce almost the same DC output either way. After that, the connection to the decoder chip is regulated down anyway. There has to be a lead from at least one rail also going to the decoder chip for level sensing but this is also regulated down. So what can get fried? Unless your DC is running hot (well over the NMRA DCC standard voltages for your gauge) I don't see how you can hurt that decoder. Even then higher voltage DC should not exceed the ratings of the regulation components inside the decoder unless the maker went really cheap on component choices. Even in that case, there shouldn't be enough current draw to warm anything up.

Dang! Now I'm going to be thinking about this.

Len