New 4x8 layout

roenickrox

Mar 2, 2006
Hainesville, Il
I just did the benchwork for a 4x8. It is possible to have 2 lines with 22" curves? Or, does one have to be 22 and the other 18? I'm just making up my own configuration not modeling after any peticular railway. I was thinking of having a passenger train on the outside and a freighter on the inside. Maybe use the center of the table for a yard.

91rioja

Mar 18, 2006
High Point, NC
On a 4x8, probably not. From outside rail to outside rail on a 22" radius curve, you would be looking at about 46" across. That would be only for 1 curve; if you were to add another one outside, you would be hanging off of the edge of your table. Now if you could get an extra foot to create an 8x5 layout, you could do it.

Hope this helps

Chris

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
it is possible to do something like this... but not a true double main. You'd have to break the curve with a short straight section, and that would put you over the 48" limit as Chris suggested.

Andrew

Attachments

• 22 radius.jpg
    22 radius.jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 303

green_elite_cab

Keep It Moving!
Apr 4, 2005
Hainesport NJ
its also possible to do 22" and use flextrack to make 20" curves. that will give you a double main without the tracks beint to far from eachother.

However, it might be a better idea to do 22" and 18", like my layout. its set up a similar way you want yours. the outside track runs passenger trains, while the inside is a local. on one side of the layout it looks like a double track main, and on the other side its all seperated with room for a station.

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
If you want to run a double track main with 22" radius on both mains, cut your plywood in half lengthwise and add a 1 x 6 down trhe middle. You now have 53 inches to play with instead of 48. The extra 5.5 inches won't make a lot of difference in the "foot print" of the table, but it will add the room needed to widen those curves. The other method would be to get two 4x8 plywood board and cut three feet off the end of each board and join them to make the table 5 x 8.

roenickrox

Mar 2, 2006
Hainesville, Il
Thanks for all the help. Now that I know I cant do it, maybe I'll just make it an 18" double main. I dont want to get to into it as I might have to take it down when we sell our house. Hopefully we'll find a place with a big basement and I nwon't have to worry about size anymore.