Negative feedback for nothing

Those are ugly imo. that one in the picture doesnt have the wide cab like the 40. But I dont like either. I just needed to have one I guess haha

spitfire

I had a similar problem with a seller on ebay. He charged me $15 for shipping and when the package arrived the postage on it was for $1.40!!!! I actually left negative feedback because I think this is totally dishonest. Of course he left negative feedback to me as well - call me naive but I wasn't expecting that. I contacted ebay but they said the only option was to mutually withdraw our feedback, which is what we did.

It's too bad because he fully deserved that negative feedback, as a warning to other buyers. The only good thing about this story is that the seller is no longer an ebay member.

Val

haha yeah. I have to admit that I too have been charged 6 or seven dollars for 1.50 postage. An N Scale locomotive, which is what I mostly buy from Ebay, can be shipped for two bucks. Most people charge 7 or 8 dollars. Fortunately, a lot of the places sell their locos at very good prices, so even with high shipping costs, you still get a good deal most of the time.

65GASSER

I usually don't sell my things for a profit type deal. If I have something I don't want I'll put it on ebay and usually charge around 5 for shipping. I figure that if I don't want it, someone else does. They get what they want and I get a few bucks to find what I do want. I usually lose my butt in shipping but its ok. If I end up asking too much in shipping I send a refund with the package or over paypal. Lifes not all about the money. Usually! sign1

Gil Finn

Yopu can leave follow up feed back.

I first would have emailed with him about that then left feed back if he was not forth coming.

green_elite_cab

Keep It Moving!
shaygetz said:
They actually depict a DD35 of which only cabless B units were ever built.

not quite. UP had both A and B units.

4978680-R1-E003.jpg.30939.jpg

green_elite_cab

Keep It Moving!
anyway, back on topic.

I only ever use Ebay as a last resort for rare models. If I know I can find what i'm looking for elsewhere, i will go there first, preferably not on the internet. if no one else has it, i'll buy it from Walthers or Horizon.

green_elite_cab

Keep It Moving!
N scale does have a DD40AX, or atleast my hobby shop does. Nscale has a lot of things i wish HO had, like P30CHs, and E60CPs (atleast, avaiable ones. I have an e60 CP, but i got it by luck)

green_elite_cab said:
N scale does have a DD40AX, or atleast my hobby shop does. Nscale has a lot of things i wish HO had, like P30CHs, and E60CPs (atleast, avaiable ones. I have an e60 CP, but i got it by luck)

Yes, the DD40AX I got negative feedback for is in N Scale. Im talking about SD38-2, all the GPs that Athearn has in HO, including all their other locos that are barely coming out in N Scale. All the steam locos etc...

UKSteam

Sorry you got burned on Ebay SeriousSam, just curious as to why you kept the item when it was not what you really expected ? Corniche has some good advice in his post, there are ways to get your money back if you had really wished to, and as you paid "same day" I'm guessing you did use paypal.
Here's some tips that I have learned from using Ebay.
1.First of all set up a saved search for the item you are looking for. Watch a few of them go by for a few weeks, this way you get to see a good average price that the item is selling for and what you can expect to pay for the mint condition one.
2. Read the description carefully, most sellers will list accurately, if they don't and you buy something you then have recourse through Ebay. As a general rule of thumb the more pics there are the more honest the seller is trying to be. Ask questions prior to the end of sale, no reply or flimsy answers can be a warning to stop bidding.
3. Look back through thats sellers history, a few negatives for a seller won't necessarily put me off business with them. I READ the negatives to ascertain a feeling forthe story of what went on. 2 negs in 1500 sales normally just represents 2 buyers trying to pull a fast one and get something for nothing, by holding the neg feedback gun to an otherwise 100% seller's head.
4. If you do get disappointed with a sale, try first to resolve it(via email with the seller) prior to feedback. I initially naiively thought that once I made the purchase, the seller then left some on me as a good payer, then I left it, once it arrived in good condition. After all that's the order on the screen right? WRONG, many have become so scared of rotten buyers thet they won't leave feedback til you have left yours.Quid pro quo. It sucks that there are people out there like that,that force honest sellers in to this situation.
5. Only deal with reputable buyers. Well I kinda repeated a bit here on this one but I wanted to make a seperate point here, those with low sales are not neccessarily bad, there's a bonus to buying from them, they sometimes don't know what they have, they misspell or just write down 'toy train ' and if you are willing to flip through hundreds of listings every few days you can pick up some bargains. Let me give an example.
The item listing should read:- Hornby railways 'Evening Star' cab no 92220, manufacturers id R330. I did a search of 'evening star' While I got a ton of jewellery mixed in there , there was also this gem (pardon the pun) of a 30+ y.o loco in mint condition. The seller was not a regular MRR seller and she just wanted to sell it for a reasonable price. I got it quite a bit below the average price I talked about in point 1 on this list. It truly was in mint condition and even still had the original green foam spacers to hold it snug in the box. I dont think it had ever been out of the box. So you can snag a bargain if you hunt around.
6. Weird names,(very subjective point) you can tell a lot by a person's handle. Rambo104 is not a name I would trust from the get go. Neither would I do business with the 'terminator', 'easy-to-buy' or any such fictitious name. 'Fly-by-night' would also raise a question, however he might be a Fedex or UPS pilot selling off his collection, so I might risk it lol. Disclaimer:-I made up all the names above except the original, so lawyers back off :)
Good luck in the future, don't be put off by one rotten seller, I've bought over 60 items and have not been dissapointed by any seller, postage was once was a tad high as someone else pointed out in this thread, and only one item bounced around a little too much by postal service, easily fixed though with a little bit of glue. I've bought stuff from US, UK, Can, Europe and Australia.
And Happy Holidays to you all :)

Thanks for the advice. The reason I kept the DD40 is because those are pretty difficult to come by, and plus, I have seen them sell for more than 100 dollars. I got this one for 50. Now, Im not dissappointed with the product itself. I am just dissappointed with the seller who led me to believe it was a certain way when it really wasnt. Before the auction ended, someone else asked him if it was all wheel drive, if it had one or two motors. He responded "This is all wheel drive, this is a Spectrum". So when I got this locomotive, I looked under the fuel tank and saw that it did not say "Spectrum". Every single one of my Spectrum locomotives has Bachmann Spectrum under the fuel tank. That is also another way to find that this locomotive is not all wheel drive.

green_elite_cab

Keep It Moving!
SeriousSam said:
Yes, the DD40AX I got negative feedback for is in N Scale. Im talking about SD38-2, all the GPs that Athearn has in HO, including all their other locos that are barely coming out in N Scale. All the steam locos etc...

kato has a N scale SD38, or i thought someone did. there seems to be quite alist of n scale stuff out there.

green_elite_cab

Keep It Moving!
yeah i know how that is. this same hobby shop has actually quite a few pieces of equipment, but its all random and bizarre. wht i find is that lot of the western locomotives are still sitting there for years, and in general they don't have alot of the trains people are probably trying to buy. And i'm sure there are more hobby shops if you look. there was one pretty nice one not even 2 minutes from my home but i never found it until i happened to drive past it when i was taking a rougte i don't normaly go through. you might check newspapers or phone books for more.

you are only in trouble if you live in southern NJ, lol, which lacks anything model railroad related.

65GASSER

green_elite_cab said:
you are only in trouble if you live in southern NJ, lol, which lacks anything model railroad related.

Whoooo... glad I don't live there! I dunno what I'd do without my LHS. :cry:

green_elite_cab

Keep It Moving!
Yeah, the only good hobby shops are around 30 minutes or more away. there are 2 that are ok and have trains that are nearby, but the one, Allied Hobbies, is a generic hobby store, and they are clueless on trains. the other one is devoted to trains, but they have much more in O scale than HO, although they did have a glass case of really nice locomotives the last time i was there. previously their HO stuff was cramped in the basment of a barn in a back corner. they moved upstairs and its alot nicer now, lol.

other wise, the majority of stuff here are more model aircraft related. there are tons of hobby shops devoted to plains around here.