Needed a storage tank...

Herc Driver

Apr 18, 2005
North Carolina
I needed a storage tank for a new industry I'm adding into the layout and found that most any aerosol container top will do. (the whole scene is only roughed in...there's still lots of work to be done to get it all in place).

Attachments

• Copy of P5160320.JPG
    Copy of P5160320.JPG
    60 KB · Views: 263

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
Simple, effective, and ready made! Why not?! Looks like a storage tank to me! Some of those tops have a tiny hole in them that you could fit a freight car brake wheel into to create a valve of some sort as a detail. Neat!
Ralph

Knighthawk

Feb 1, 2006
Pretty cool! I've used Campbell's soup cans cut in half lenghtwise to make N Scale Quonset huts. Ya just gotta put yer noggin to work, and you can find all sorts of stuff around the house to add to your layout.

Herc Driver

Apr 18, 2005
North Carolina
I agree it still needs some work...a berm for sure and ladder/staircase too. But for the price, you can't beat it. Now...what do I have around the house that resembles a building/industry???

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
Herc Driver said:
. Now...what do I have around the house that resembles a building/industry???

That's one of the favorite parts of the hobby for me, to find things that look like other things and make models with them. Quonset huts from soup cans and storage tanks from areosol tops are brilliant. I've used contact lens solution bottles for cement company silos and shampoo bottles for a blast furnace. Cool stuff guys.
Ralph

Knighthawk

Feb 1, 2006
Here's an idea that I"m workin' on now. I'm using thin strips of green Scotchbrite to make a hedge maze to place on my layout.

2-8-2

Jan 6, 2005
Delaware, Ohio
www.wn-rr.net
Ralph said:
That's one of the favorite parts of the hobby for me, to find things that look like other things and make models with them. Quonset huts from soup cans and storage tanks from areosol tops are brilliant. I've used contact lens solution bottles for cement company silos and shampoo bottles for a blast furnace. Cool stuff guys.
Ralph

What a coincidence! I've used a $40 Bar Mills craftsman kit as kindling. Note to self: Buy cheaper kits to learn with.

Knighthawk

Feb 1, 2006
Pretty good idea! Since I've seen grain bins with different sized ribs, I think it should do perfectly! Especially if you let it start to rust on it's own for that aged look.