Need your opinion

jmarksbery

Sep 25, 2002
Butler, Kentucky USA
members.aol.com
:rolleyes: Does this look like it will pass for a Pile Driver Barge?
Fine as is:
Throw it out and Start over:
Make modifications and keep:
It looks OK in real life but the pics suck. It is scratch built in N-Scale, and was made from different pics found on the internet. To give an idea as to size, I used the lid from a LPB box as the base, lamenated with wood. The upright engine is a casting, the gears are Bic lighter wheels, the rest is what I could find. :wave:
3 pics to follow

Attachments

• asideview.gif
    asideview.gif
    64.6 KB · Views: 172

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
www.2guyzandsumtrains.com
Hi Jim, I've never seen one, but I've seen land based pile driver photo's. It looks pretty good to me, especially when I realized when you said Barge, you meant Barge. LOL, I was trying to figure out why you were trying to put wheels on a skid with really really weird lookin' trucks, then I realized it's a boat. LOL. I think it's really good. I would have expected it to be taller, but like I said, I've never seen one. If you have a photo of one, you should be able to tell. I give it 3 thumbs up! :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

F

Fred_M

Looks old and weathered. Looks poorly maintained. Looks like it's been patched with what's at hand. If that was the look you were after you did great. If it was to look showroom new you missed the mark. The only thing missing is a name. They even name pile barges don't they. Thumper come to mind. :D FRED

kettlestack

Jan 18, 2002
Scotland UK
Visit site
You asked for it!

Well Jim, here's an honest reply:-

It looks just like it should! :thumb: :thumb:
I doubt if more that two originals look the same and you have all the engineering bits in it that should be there.

You chose a difficult subject to model in N gauge and it turned out very well.
These things really do thump so it's not surprising the canopy is leaning a wee bit :) .

How would an LPB reach the top pulleys to grease them? Stick some horizontal planks on one of the sloping braces to form a makeshift ladder. (safety rails on this are not required as LPB's bounce pretty well)
Wash the timberwork with a little diluted India ink and it will look absolutely perfect. :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Errol

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
Dec 28, 2000
Georgetown, Ontario,Canada
Looks just fine to me Jim. A neat model. There are some of the real ones on the Fraser river close to where my son lives in BC. Lots of piles along the river bank for one purpose or another

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
Cool beans :thumb: :thumb: ...but...where's the dump ducks...er...seagulls. If there'd be an improvement it would be to lower the waterline by about half. We have two deisel ones in the area and one geared up like that would sit lower and favor the heavier machinery end. Again, well done. :thumb: :thumb:

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Hi Jim,
Oh no, thats beautiful, leave it just as it is. :wave: Tell you something, I scratchbuild it in H0, but being is N-scale, makes it even better than mine. Here's mine to prove a point. (Smoke unit fitted) Also the structure behind was scratchbuilt. :thumb:

Shamus
pdr.jpg

Comment from Jo.
You'll never be happy with them on your layouts.
Post IMMEDIATELY to Jo C/- Melb, Vic, Australia.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ Guys

Ps: shamus, i think you should also send the Building and the Fishing Trawler :thumb: