need wiring suggestions

Bill Pontin

Oct 14, 2001
Milford, CT
Visit site
For my logging area I picked up a Life Like 0-6-0 switcher. No way would the little sucker run at slow speeds. Cobbed up, or do I say bashed up, a 50' flat car. Cut it down to 35' added a small work shed, fuel tank and other necessities. Probably did it the hard way, but made some pick up contacts for the trucks. Went over the engine gearing with a fine tooth comb, cleaning and polishing. Am I happy runs better than I thought, I can get it to just creep with no stalling. The engine and the work car will be permenant and I need a way to hide or route the wires from the engine to the car. Any suggestions? The attached picture shows the engine as I was testing it. Still have weathering and other stuff to do before I close it up.:rolleyes:

Attachments

• mvc-004s.jpg
    mvc-004s.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 151

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
Bill,
Could you possibly run the wire in the vacinity of the couplers, along the underframe,disguised as an air brake line?

Bill Pontin

Oct 14, 2001
Milford, CT
Visit site
Charlie, thanks for the suggestion, I did try that already. I installed trucks with couplers and the wires (2) prevent free movement of the truck. I was hoping someone had done this before and could tell me of some magic part. Think I will check the local Radio Shack and see if I can locate a miny two pin coupler. Saw some real small ones in this computer when I was installed a card, hummmm. Figure if I could not hide them, I would take your suggestion and make them look like something else.:)

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
OK, Bill, you've got me brainstorming now!
You know the great thing about modeling logging equipment is, that you can build whatever you want that fits your needs, because that's what the real loggers do/did.
I've seen photos of tank engines that had auxiliary "tenders" that carried water, fuel, tools, spare parts, etc... in other words, your work car is a great idea! (I might "borrow" it one of these days :D ) You mentioned that there was a tank - maybe you could run your wire from this tank, in plain view, & just explain it as some special feedwater setup that some innovative fellow down at the engine shed came up with! :cool:

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Hi Bill,
Very nice looking logging flat you have there friend,
As for the two wires, sue very thin wires like the ones used on pickup arms for a turntable/recordplayer, and route them underneath the chassis (Drill two tiny holes)
I love scratchbuilding these tiny cars, here's one of my loggers.
Shamus

Attachments

• olym20.jpg
    olym20.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 115

Bill Pontin

Oct 14, 2001
Milford, CT
Visit site
Thank you Shamus,
Your logging flat is awesome and your detailing is fantastic. I think I have found a solution to my wiring connection. There is a pigtail with a miny connector on the batteries they sell for cordless phones and the wire gage is about 28AWG, very flexible. Would like to have the feature where I can disconnect the two without a resoldering problem.