need some opinions on backdrops.....

Jun 18, 2004
barboursville, wv
hey everyone, i have a question for ya's, which method do you prefer when it comes to backdrops?..... do you prefer to bend your corners or do you prefer to just butt them up square? the reason im asking is that i cant or dont know which way is the best. thanks for your input.:wave:

F

Fred_M

Curve it right,
curve it left,
wheather inside or out,
a nice smooth curve,
is still the best.
Fred

TrainClown

Apr 17, 2003
Saskatchewan, Canada
Visit site
Hi Steve,

You can make just about any curve you want, if you know how to do it.

What you need to do is build a frame that the board is fassened to. You see, your not going right to the walls, so you need to give the board something to guide it.

Cut a corner out of a piece of plywood and make your frame with that.

Dang................a picture would tell you better.

more to come.

TrainClown :)

Ok here is the basic plan for the corner support. Made from 3/4" plywood. There are other supports needed , but they are straight forwerd once you have the ides.

Attachments

• backdrop corner3.jpg
    backdrop corner3.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 211

TrainClown

Apr 17, 2003
Saskatchewan, Canada
Visit site
So if your radii is so tight that the board wants to crack before conforming, there is another trick. What you would need to do is score the back of the pannel. Use a skill saw and set it for 1/32" to 1/16" depth. Use a straight edge to guide the saw, and make scoring cuts in the back of the pannel every inch accross the curve. If the pannel dose not sit smooth against the frame, then the scores will have to be closer together.

I hope this helps.

TrainClown ;)

Jun 18, 2004
barboursville, wv
hey TC, thanks for the diagrams and info. you know my benchwork better than anyone else, what radius do you think i should go with for my backdrops? i dont want to eat up too much realesstate with backdrops. thanks!:wave:

Tileguy

Apr 28, 2003
Northern Mn
Visit site
Use thin hardboard (masonite)for your backdrops and you will likely not have to score it even for a tight radius.It takes paint well and ive had good luck with 3M spray 77 adhesive for backdrop collage work over the painted masonite.Alot depends on your backdrop situation as to wether you will need much for framing.Mine is against a sheetrock wall and is held in place with simple finish brads and very few at that.

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
Take 1/2" drywall and cut it to your height needed. A 4' wide piece can yield two 2' wide or three 18" wide pieces. Soak the center 2' by splashing water onto it until it can be carefully formed into an inside curve. Anything with a reasonable radius (some use 55 gal. barrels) can be used as a former. When dry, it holds its own and can be mounted by itself with no additional framing. Better still, because it's drywall, it can be finished like it with mud and tape to make a continuous horizon from one end to the other.

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
I use 1/8" masonite with framing behind to support the curve. The track radius on those upper curves is 24 and 26.5 inches so the backdrop is probably 32" or so to negotiate a corner of my layout room.
Ralph

aac.jpg

seanm

Oct 11, 2004
Sunny CA
www.pegnsean.net
I have had good luck with rolled linolium flooring.... does not matter the pattern, just use the back side. It takes paint really well and you can make almost invisible splice joints with some contact adhesive.

SeanM