Need some help and advice

Krawler

Mar 14, 2007
Hi Y'all

After a long year of planning, I am building my bench work after the 1st of April when I get paid. I still haven't figured out the software to do track plans so it is all on graph paper.

What I am trying to figure out is how to set up the bench work itself. I have plywood bought for the top but I changed things on the layout. Now I am planning two bodies on water which I need elevation changes and I am not sure what to do. I have picture of kinda what am looking at doing. It is picture of a tv show so bare with me the quality is poor but it is he best I can do. I think if I can pull it off it will be a awesome effect.

Krawler

Attachments

• 100_0400.jpg
    100_0400.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 6

iis612

Dec 26, 2006
Chicago Burbs
Go to your local home improvement store and pick up some of the 2" insulation foam sheets. Lay that over the plywood sub-base. You can dig into the foam to create contours. Once you have the contours the way you want them, paint the bottoms to give the effect of depth, start dark and work lighter towards the shallower areas. Then add whatever water product you choose to use.
I am sure that there are a million other ways to achieve what you are looking to do, and hopefully a few of the more experienced members will chime in.
BTW, that SP&E 4449 Freedom train is a beautiful sight.

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
I think I would mark the outline of the lakes on your plywood, and then use a jig saw to cut out the lakes. The part you cut out of the bigger lake can be glued to the bottom of the smaller lake to make the lake bottom. Use another piece of scrap plywood that is big enough to make the bottom of the bigger lake. I would then raise up the roadbed with foam to get the correct elevation for the railroad between the lakes.