Need Sides On My Benchwork

bobaloo000

Jan 16, 2005
I need to put up sides, about 3-4 inches high on some of my benchwork because the track gets very close to the edge. I am not a carpenter and I would love some advice on the best way to do this.

Thanks.

revandy

Nov 2, 2004
Cumberland RI
I mount 3/8" clear plastic sheeting approx 6-8" high, it keeps little fingers away and saves the rolling stock from taking a header onto my concrete floor.

77railer

Dec 11, 2004
South Carolina
Are you wanting to mount something to the foam? or the wood part of your benchwork. Plexiglass would work for either and can be purchased at any local hardware store....

77Railer

bobaloo000

Jan 16, 2005
I want to mount it to the 3/4" plywood. I think some wood screws would work, the plexiglass is a great idea. I'm going to Lowes tonight to pick up a Dremel, I'll see if they have any. I'm thinking 1 1/2" wood screws to attach it. Sound right to you?

bobaloo000

Jan 16, 2005
Thanks everyone for the help. I have to tell you I'm new at this and model rr's, no matter what forum (I troll through many) have to be the friendlies and most helpful of any I've found on the net. From computers to music to pin collecting I'm active in a lot of places and usually newbies on those other sites are treated like dirt with few willing to help. Thanks for this.

btw, I got to 1 1/2 by addin 3/8" plexi + 3/4" plywood. Forgot I was going INTO the plywood.

bobaloo000

Jan 16, 2005
revandy said:
I mount 3/8" clear plastic sheeting approx 6-8" high, it keeps little fingers away and saves the rolling stock from taking a header onto my concrete floor.
I had not even thought that my GodSon will get a kick out of these trains. Thanks for the tip, he's a good kid, but a little rambunctious as are most 4 year olds.

ausien

Sep 14, 2004
Sydney, Austrailia
this thread reminds me I must get an off cut of perspex, I to have perspex around the edges of my layout to keek little fingers from touching the trains as they go by but have a 9" gap that I have not filled yet,its out of sight as I run trains but near the door where kids sneak in for a look. Thanks for the thread Bobaloo000 the engine you saved maybe MINE... have a good one..steve

Bikerdad

Oct 17, 2003
Southwestern US
Visit site
Use pan head screws to attach the plexiglass. Doing so will spread the stress over a greater area, reducing the chance of cracks and such. Also, you can use 1" screws, possibly even 3/4" without any trouble.

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
If you want to make the plexi easily removable for maintanance, cut a rectangle off each each bottom corner about 1" x 2" and take out a similar sized piece from the bottom center, and use them for spacers, then screw a narrow piece of plywood over the front of the layout with the three spacers to hold it out from the layout and create a slot in the front that the plexi will slide into.

davido

Sep 10, 2004
heatwave, alabama
sumpter250 said:
3/4" X 8 screws would work well. drill pilot holes in the wood, and clearance holes in the plexi. (or countersunk, if you use flathead screws)
Pete
and use a screw driver (not a battery drill) making slow turns to snug it up. i am an expert at running the screw up to tight and cracking the plexiglass.

david

Dragon

Nov 13, 2003
Western NY
www.dragonmnt.com
I think I have a slight advantage. THe room the layout is in has sloped walls/ceiling. By the time the "wall" is at shoulder height, it's in line with the front of the benchwork.
My plan is to "museum" the layout. Build a floor to ceiling "front" with the plexi mounted in hinged doors. That will serve many purposes.
1.) Keeps the kitties off the layout!!!!!
2.) Keeps the kids off the layout
3.) Keeps the dust off the layout (mostly).
4.) Keeps the squirrels off the layout (don't ask).

Plus, it might help the resale of the house if things are "finished off" in this fashion. I don't plan on taking the RR with me, just the buildings and rolling stuff, and maybe some/all of the track. I'll leave the rest for the next owner.

Michael