Need scratch build advise.

jkristia

Aug 1, 2002
Simi Valley, CA,
Visit site
I building my first scratch build structure, based loosely on the Santa Susana Depot in Simi Valley. Since it's my first building, I know that it won't be perfect, but of course I would like to get as close as possible. The picture shows where I'm at right now, and that's why I need some advise. What would be the best way to do the windows and doors? I'm thinking of trying to build them from 0.020" x 0.020" styrene strips (roughly 3x3" in N scale), but don't know if it's possible or if it's too tiny. If that fails, I might try the drywall mesh thing.

But any advise of how to achieve the 'right look' will be appreciated.
I have a picture of the real depot here

http://community.webshots.com/album/76915961FHkwQn

IMG_3024.JPG

Tyson Rayles

Sep 25, 2001
Poverty Acres, North Carolina
Visit site
It looks like you are doing a very nice job so far. I would check a Walthers catalog for Grandt Line window and door castings. Depending on what scale this is you might find other companies that make em' as well. Look under super detailing parts or scratch building supplies. :)

davidstrains

Aug 29, 2002
Stafford, VA
Visit site
jk,

Like Tyson said, looks great so for. Another suggestion for the windows is a tip that I received from errol (kettlestack). He scribes the window frames and pane dividers on clear acetate with a draftmans pen and ink. They look very good.

I have not worked with styrene so I can not advise you on that. Just have fun.
:) :)

jkristia

Aug 1, 2002
Simi Valley, CA,
Visit site
Sorry, forgot to mention it's N scale and I have already checked Grandt Line, they don't have exactly what I'm looking for, but actually now when I think of it, maybe I can make one of their windows fit. Thanks for the idea.

jmarksbery

Sep 25, 2002
Butler, Kentucky USA
members.aol.com
Fine Job,

It is hard to find just what you want all the time, but I am one if it looks good to you use it. The building inspector here on The Gauge is not to critical. :p Unless you are detailing the interior paint the inside walls black to give it a lived in look, also if lighting it will keep the light from shineing thru. Looking good :eek: :eek: :rolleyes:

jkristia

Aug 1, 2002
Simi Valley, CA,
Visit site
ok, I give up. Today I have spend more then 2 hours trying to make the first door, and hasn't been able to come up with anything that looked even close to decent, so I decided to forget about what the real doors and windows looks like and instead use some Grand Line windows and doors. Unfortunately, the window openings doesn't match the Grand Line one, so I will have to do some filing and filling to make it fit, but I'm sure the end result will be better than if I try to make the windows myself.

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
No shame in using commercial parts to make what is already a fine looking model even better! Nice start on this structure! Looking forward to seeing updates!
Ralph

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
Dec 28, 2000
Georgetown, Ontario,Canada
Hope it all comes out the way you want it to Jesper. That's a good looking sructure. Some of us use widows and doors we draw using MS paint but they don't look as good closeup. We have also used dry wall mesh tape for windows which looks quite good in N scale.

jkristia

Aug 1, 2002
Simi Valley, CA,
Visit site
Robin,

I have been following and admiring all the buildings you have been posting for a long time, and I know about your drywall mesh technique, and if anything else fails, I will try that. It's just that I would like to see if I can find something that comes closer to the real thing if possible.

Right now I'm waiting for the Grand Line windows I ordered, so lets see.

Thanks again everyone.