Need Parts Cheap!!!!

Tyson Rayles

Sep 25, 2001
Poverty Acres, North Carolina
Visit site
Need some Bachman 0-4-0 regular and Life-Like 0-6-0 saddletank boiler assemblies cheap. Don't need cabs, tenders or mechanisms. For scratchbuilding project. Condition of paint job unimportant. If a few details are missing that's O.K. N-scale of course. Thanks

billk

Jun 12, 2001
Marion, IA, USA
Tyson - Tungsten is easier to get (and safer:D ) and is also heavier than lead. Check with a golf pro shop - they use it for weighting drivers or something.
Here's a link:http://www.swingweight.com/clubmaking_faq.htm and a extract from it:
Tungsten powder is approximately 50% more dense (heavier) than is lead powder. .... Tungsten powder is substantially more expensive than lead powder; a pound of lead powder costs approximately $3.00, while a pound of tungsten powder runs over $30.00.

Hi Tyson,
I think we have touched on this before, I know I suggested it to jon once when he was wanting some weight in a loco with little place to put it!:D
The powder is much heavier than powdered lead. You can't melt and cast this stuff like lead, 'cause it melts at 3387 Celsius, :eek: according to Corbin's table. So if you could cast a weight to fit your space, you may be better off with lead. Or you can pour in the tungsten powder and glue it, and get about the same density as solid lead, I think.
It's an interesting project, anyway:) :) :)