Need ideas for making a outdoor BBQ

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
What era slim? If it's the 1950's you could build one of those fancy suburban brick BBQs. If more modern then there's a couple ways to go: the round style that sits on a tripod, or the more enclosed kind.

I'd start of with a Google image search to find the type of BBQ you want. Then use either brick sheet or styrene to make the enclosure, or wires for the tripod. There are engine detail parts you can use for the grill. Here's a sample of some of them.

Hope this helps.

Val

2slim

Jan 16, 2004
Murray, UT
Visit site
Val,
Thanks for the link, actually made me remember that I have some old pipe screens that I could use as the wire grill portion. The tripod type is what I'm thinking of, except that they now have 4 legs, (2 with wheels, wooo). And the bodies are now squarish with a lid. I did a google search and came up with a few photos, now just to find a suitable shape in the parts bin.

2slim

jetrock

Dec 18, 2003
Visit site
pipe screens...heh.

Most of that kind of barbecue are 2 or 3 feet across, so about 1/4"-3/8" would be about right. If you wanted to model a closed one as an item sitting in someone's backyard, a suitably sized plastic bead would work, with a piece of wire wrapped around the center and a few bits of narrow brass rod stuck in the base as the legs.

For an open one, that could be interesting--if one wanted to get complex, two of the legs of the barbecue could actually be the leads of a red LED hooked to an under-the-table flicker circuit--that way you could have glowing "coals" for your HO scale backyard barbecue! As for the body, take a look in your desk drawer for pen caps of about the right diameter to savage for such purposes.

Just don't ask anyone how to model HO scale ants...

jetrock

Dec 18, 2003
Visit site
Aha! Thinking outside the Webber Grill! Of course, the classic 55 gallon drum BBQ, available at any hobby shop! Just add a bit of screen culled frome one's friendly neighborhood, ahem, tobacco-accessories shop, brass rod legs, and if one is feeling daring, that LED I mentioned earlier. Paint it black and serve up the HO scale coleslaw...

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
jetrock said:
Aha! Thinking outside the Webber Grill! Of course, the classic 55 gallon drum BBQ, available at any hobby shop! Just add a bit of screen culled frome one's friendly neighborhood, ahem, tobacco-accessories shop, brass rod legs, and if one is feeling daring, that LED I mentioned earlier. Paint it black and serve up the HO scale coleslaw...

Like this...though I didn't use screen, just a bit of styrene for a griddle. Ladder stock legs, two slices of styrene rod for wheels and a wire push handle were added to a barrel from a kit that came in halves.

Attachments

• grill.jpg
    grill.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 149

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
jetrock said:
Just add a bit of screen culled frome one's friendly neighborhood, ahem, tobacco-accessories shop....

Thank you, Val.

Jet, the screens from faucet aerators carry less of a social stigma and can be purchased without dark sunglasses and a ball cap pulled down over your ears. ;) :p :D

2slim

Jan 16, 2004
Murray, UT
Visit site
Jetrock,
That's a cool idea for a closed BBQ, the open one sounds do-able but a bit ambitious for me, still a good idea though.

Bob,
I knew you would come up with a cool idea, I'm actually going to use a freight car brake cylinder from my parts box. I sawed it in half length wize and tilted the top back. This is going to be a table top grill. Bob, I know you have built a picnic table can you share some pic's?
2slim

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
2slim said:
Bob, I know you have built a picnic table can you share some pic's? 2slim

If you need dimensions, PM me. Hmmmmm...I like the idea of a table top grill, hmmmm....lessee what's in the junk box.... ;)

Attachments

• table.jpg
    table.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 89