Need ID for Swift Premium Ham 1746.

TedTrain

Jan 17, 2004
Visit site
Hi ALL!
I have this Swift Premium Ham car with the #1746. Looks old, strange couplers, has a weight flopping around inside. Any ideas who made this?
Many thanks,Ted
SwiftHam.jpg

SwiftHam1.jpg

SwiftHam2.jpg

CNJ999

Aug 21, 2004
Those couplers are examples of the once famous Mantua Hook and Loop design, used by perhaps 90% of the serious model railroaders from the 1940's until the mid 1950's. The car looks, at first glance, to be a pre-war Varney card-side reefer. However, if the sides are metal, then the alternate possibility is that it is a slightly shortened version of the Mantua steel-sided Swift reefer. A shot of the topside showing the hatches might help in IDing the model's origins.

CNJ999

CNJ999

Aug 21, 2004
Hmmm...I'm leaning more toward it being an old Mantua now. Ted, did you tap on the car sides to see if they were metal, or not?

The thing that's throwing me off is the lack of many specific Mantua car details. The trucks are correct but the underbody lacks much of the cast frame cross member details. Likewise, all the stirrup steps are all missing and the car sides are about four or five "boards" short on the left end...that results in the #1746, which should really read #21746. This makes me wonder if this might be some sort of ~60 year old kitbash, or a poorly assembled model.

CNJ999

TedTrain

Jan 17, 2004
Visit site
Hi and thanks CNJ999!
The sides are not metal, I'm thinking cardboard. I'll go with the kit bashing! The bottoms and sides look like painted balsa, or some other wood.
Thanks, Ted

kmorris

Oct 14, 2005
Ted,

Check your private messages... I sent you a link that might be helpful identifying some of these.