Need help

Discussion in 'Track Planning' started by Sparks, Jun 27, 2002.

1. Sparks

Sparks New Member

I need help I have the two main lines done but! I have 5 spurs to do I want one spur to go around on side of a mountian to a mine. Do I start building the mountian then put the track on it or make risers for line and put the track up then build the mountian. This spur should also run over a tunnel for the two main lines. Also I want a small wooden bridge over a creek need to know when to build it. It is on a 4x8' ho layout.
  2. Matthyro

Matthyro Will always be re-membered

Whichever way you do it Sparks, the necessary track supports have to be built in place as you go. Some modellers like to build their mountains first but include track bed. When scenicked, lay the track. I put the track in first then build the mountains around it. To me, that's the easiest. I do have to cover the track with masking tape when I do the sceniking but it peels off easily when done.
  3. rich maiorano

rich maiorano Member

I would have to go with robin and laid the track risers and bed first that way you can test it before you start on the mountin:p rich
  4. Tyson Rayles

Tyson Rayles Active Member

Everybody has their own way of doing things I guess, but in this case I agree with the others. My layout has mountains and will have one major creek. Even though all the mnt's and the creek are not in yet all the track is done. It is just easier for me if I do the track first then do the scenery.
  5. Sparks

Sparks New Member

Got it thanks
  6. Tyson Rayles

Tyson Rayles Active Member

Just a thought Sparks, but with 2 main lines and all those spurs on a 4X8 in HO you might want to run some trains before you do any kind of scenery to make sure your curves are not to tight or the grades to steep.
  7. Sparks

Sparks New Member

The trains run fine on the main lines. And I am redoing the spurs at this time
  8. shamus

shamus Registered Member

Hi Sparks,
    What's been said is the way to go, track first, then scenery. Make sure the risers are well supported.
    Here's a shot of my Badger Creek in it's early days.
    Shamus
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

9. rich maiorano

rich maiorano Member

how about a shot of that area finish shamus :D rich
  10. BNSFC449W

BNSFC449W Member

I agree with Rich's 1st post. Test your track and make sure is a ok before you proceed in your project.
  11. shamus

shamus Registered Member

Rich my friend, thats already been posted some time ago.

Shamus
    [​IMG]