Need help with weathering

Big_Al73

Jul 26, 2005
West Virginia
I have so many books, magazines, and websites, some say use chalk, some say use air brush, and some say just use dull cote. I'm just starting, and my air brushing skills are low. What is the best way of weathering rolling stock and buildings, I'm scared to touch my locomotives. I just looking for some tips. Where to start. Thanks

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Hi Big Al,

The hardest part is just starting...! Since you have lots of good info (also check The Gauge with our search function if you want more... ;) ), I will say - you're just going to have to go for it!

My preferred method is drybrushing. I have also used chalks. If you are scared about what will happen, start with an old boxcar and use chalks. The beauty of chalks is if you do not like it, you can wash it off (this does not apply to Bragdon Weathering Powder, which contains an adhesive).

My usual method though goes like this:

Wash and dry car.
Apply thin wash of colour that is close,but slightly lighter than, the original colour. This gives a faded appearance, and dulls the plastic look.
Apply a black/grimy wash (I use very light "inkahol" - india ink in alcohol).
Dry brush dirt colours in appropriate places (underbody, ends)
Dry brush soot along roofs/roof walks (I model the steam era)
Apply rusty colours to wheels and truck frames, couplers, etc.
Add Dullcoat over everything.

I use Dollar Store craft paints. Nice thing about them is you can wash off the paint while it is still wet, if you don't like what you just did.

So pick your least favourite car (or get some junkers at a swap meet) and get going! Starting really is the hardest part...

Andrew

Conrail

Jul 23, 2005
If I where you..I find some elcheapo Box cars and just lay into em. Thats what I did. Ive only done a couple though and to be honest they where fair at best. I did try a couple of methods on my last one but to say the least I thought the dry bushing with chalks was easiest. (If you don't like it you can wash it off). I also mixed a little chalk powder with some rubbing alcohol and dabbed a spot here and there for some nice effects. Water color paints work well also (because you can wash them away to). Practice makes perfect. Have fun with it. It's easier than you might think. Layers are the key though. You get better effects in layers...or so I think anyhow. Good luck. :thumb:

tillsbury

Jul 18, 2004
NZ
Errrm, this might be exactly the problem that you mentioned first in your message, but I'd recommend that you try the Bragdon weathering powders, then you won't need any of the other steps. Far easier and quicker for mostly much better results...

hummerdaves

Aug 5, 2005
This is my story and I'm stickin to it,

1- Get yourself 1 or 2 PROTOTYPE PHOTO'S of your subject. The closer the better.And study it.

2- Try to match the car to the picture with what ever you want to try.

3- If you plan to use chalk's or powder's spray the car first with Dull-cote or
flat clear acyrlic it give's it a better bite.

4- Go lightly at first till you feel comfortable then turn it up.

5- Remember up or down with the brush not across think of how the element's
will effect the car.

6- Have fun.
biggrin.gif

Big_Al73

Jul 26, 2005
West Virginia
Thank you.

I'm glad I foud this website. You guys and gals are a great help for a beginer. I thank you so much. I've been thinking of joining a model railroading club, but I was afraid to, because I didn't know very much. I also like the other tips on this website, to bad my layout isn't big enough to hold all the ideas I'm getting. Thanks again. :D :thumb:

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Al...

As you have noticed, there are lots of "right" answers for every question in Model Railroading. The key is to find what works for you.

You should join up with a club, especially if they host clinics and other things you may not get on-line. You'd be surprised at how much the "old timers" don't know. Some guys at our club have extensive knowledge in some areas, but are really "newbies" in other areas - despite being in MR since before I was born...!

The Gauge is definitely the best on-line club there is (shameless plug... ;) :D ).

Andrew