need help with polish trnaslation, GPM Zuikaku

Jim Krauzlis

Sep 26, 2005
Copiague, Long Island, New York
On the question of Polish translations of instructions, here's the thing.
The kits have them printed in Polish...how do I get that printed page into the on-line translators? If anyone has a trick they've used I would love to hear of it, keeping in mind if you scan the printed instructions the Polish characters need to be read and understood to be transformed into a readable file for use with the online translators.

Rick, well, maybe not quite the "Holy Grail", that's probably a misnomer in this case given what the Holy Grail is, but it certainly has become the 411 of Paper Modeling. :D

Cheers!
Jim

Jim Krauzlis

Sep 26, 2005
On the question of Polish translations of instructions, here's the thing.
The kits have them printed in Polish...how do I get that printed page into the on-line translators? If anyone has a trick they've used I would love to hear of it, keeping in mind if you scan the printed instructions the Polish characters need to be read and understood to be transformed into a readable file for use with the online translators.

Rick, well, maybe not quite the "Holy Grail", that's probably a misnomer in this case given what the Holy Grail is, but it certainly has become the 411 of Paper Modeling. :D

Cheers!
Jim

R

rickstef

Jim,

i would have settled for a Pythonesque version of the grail too

NI!

Rick

R

rickstef

Jim,

i would have settled for a Pythonesque version of the grail too

NI!

Rick

Bernhard L

Aug 4, 2005
hi guys

what i ment was that all that is needed in regards to information and ideas is all here. it is probably the best online resource for card model builders of all types and skill levels. you guys have done a great thing here as this is the support that people need to be able to take the challenge of card modeling without feeling intimidated and knowing that they will be supported without prejudice. and it is this that i have found to be a problem with the plastic model fraternity. they treat it like a black art and tutorials expect you to know a fair bit allready. here i have found everyone has the willingness to lay things out on the table for all to see with plenty of explanation.

Once again
Thanks to every one

Bernhard L

Aug 4, 2005
hi guys

what i ment was that all that is needed in regards to information and ideas is all here. it is probably the best online resource for card model builders of all types and skill levels. you guys have done a great thing here as this is the support that people need to be able to take the challenge of card modeling without feeling intimidated and knowing that they will be supported without prejudice. and it is this that i have found to be a problem with the plastic model fraternity. they treat it like a black art and tutorials expect you to know a fair bit allready. here i have found everyone has the willingness to lay things out on the table for all to see with plenty of explanation.

Once again
Thanks to every one

Jim Krauzlis

Sep 26, 2005
Hi, Bernhard! :D

I agree with you 100%! This is the premier resource, and the attitude of most if not all is to have fun and enjoy sharing tips, tricks and experiences with each other, many times with a bit of humor but always in a good natured way...as in my comment to, as he asked, bring Rick "down to earth." :D

Only trying to help a fellow modeler, right Rick? :lol:

Before paper I did a bit of wooden ship modeling, and still do, truth be know, and, as you experienced with the plastic forums, there were many who were quite critical and intolerant of beginners or their questions, although I've noticed that has died down a bit in the last year or two (not sure why).

Anyway, glad you found us, looking forward to seeing some of your builds when you can, and hope you have fun while you're here!

Cheers!

Jim

Jim Krauzlis

Sep 26, 2005
Hi, Bernhard! :D

I agree with you 100%! This is the premier resource, and the attitude of most if not all is to have fun and enjoy sharing tips, tricks and experiences with each other, many times with a bit of humor but always in a good natured way...as in my comment to, as he asked, bring Rick "down to earth." :D

Only trying to help a fellow modeler, right Rick? :lol:

Before paper I did a bit of wooden ship modeling, and still do, truth be know, and, as you experienced with the plastic forums, there were many who were quite critical and intolerant of beginners or their questions, although I've noticed that has died down a bit in the last year or two (not sure why).

Anyway, glad you found us, looking forward to seeing some of your builds when you can, and hope you have fun while you're here!

Cheers!

Jim

Darwin

Sep 26, 2005
Idaho Falls, ID
Don't get into the mindset that the Polish text of the instructions is a magic key needed to construct the model. Having some kits with both Polish and english text, I've found that the translation usually becomes something like"Cut out and fold up Part 1. Glue parts 2 through 5 to part 1." Of course, what I'm really wanting to know is how part 1 is folded up, and what is the subassembly supposed to look like after the other parts are added to it. I suspect that even someone literate in Polish is left wondering "what the hell is going on here" after reading the instructions. Truth to tell, I've found reading the building strings to be more useful than most written instructions insofar as figuring out how to fit things together. The best advice I have to give is to scan and print out parts to play with figuring out how they are to be fit together before working with the "real" kit parts. To conserve on the building supplies, I usually print the practice parts onto the backs of used inkjet printer paper and use draft quality setting on the printer. This does have the downside of having to answer the occasional "what happened to the recipe I printed out last night" question from the wife.[/i]

Darwin

Sep 26, 2005
Idaho Falls, ID
Don't get into the mindset that the Polish text of the instructions is a magic key needed to construct the model. Having some kits with both Polish and english text, I've found that the translation usually becomes something like"Cut out and fold up Part 1. Glue parts 2 through 5 to part 1." Of course, what I'm really wanting to know is how part 1 is folded up, and what is the subassembly supposed to look like after the other parts are added to it. I suspect that even someone literate in Polish is left wondering "what the hell is going on here" after reading the instructions. Truth to tell, I've found reading the building strings to be more useful than most written instructions insofar as figuring out how to fit things together. The best advice I have to give is to scan and print out parts to play with figuring out how they are to be fit together before working with the "real" kit parts. To conserve on the building supplies, I usually print the practice parts onto the backs of used inkjet printer paper and use draft quality setting on the printer. This does have the downside of having to answer the occasional "what happened to the recipe I printed out last night" question from the wife.[/i]

Mike Hinrichs

Feb 21, 2005
Tranlation of Polish instructions

Hi guys.

First, Darwin. Thanks for the advice on rescaling. I'll give it a try on my next project.

Regarding the need for translations, I am 100% in accord with Darwin. In fact, some times having a 'literal' translation of something can confuse or mislead to the point of serious problems. I have experienced this many times in my work as a student of languages and linguistics. And as a would-be modeller, I have also found out that good drawings can often obviate the need for written instructions whereas good written instructions are always enhanced by good illustrations (the Chinese say, 'one picture= 1000 words').

Jim, I think you are spot on about the primary difficulty in using machine translator programs to translate printed plans. Yes, there are text identification programs out there that will 'convert your image file into text, but they are subject to many of the same problems machine translators are for many of the same reasons (not to mention they are expensive). The only other alternative I know of is to 'data enter' into the machine translator -WHAT FUN!

Moreover. even if you can get a human to translate a set of instructions, problems may still occur if that person is not also familiar with the particular technical aspects of this type of construction/medium.

So, my advice to you, Bernhard, is that you look at the illustrations in your kit instructions and see if you can make sense of them before seeking a translation. Unless, of course, you want the translation for more than just construction purposes.

If you still want a translation, might I suggest checking out the articles section of this site. In there, you'll see a segment on translations of kit instructions. You may want to contact one of the guys who has provided other English translations of Polish kit instructions to see if they would be able to get you a translation of your kit instructions for a reasonable (maybe free or in exchange for..) price.

Good luck and I look forward to seeing the photos of your finished model.
{by the way, if you need extra aircraft for the flightdeck, just drop me a line}.

Thanks,

Mike

Mike Hinrichs

Feb 21, 2005
Tranlation of Polish instructions

Hi guys.

First, Darwin. Thanks for the advice on rescaling. I'll give it a try on my next project.

Regarding the need for translations, I am 100% in accord with Darwin. In fact, some times having a 'literal' translation of something can confuse or mislead to the point of serious problems. I have experienced this many times in my work as a student of languages and linguistics. And as a would-be modeller, I have also found out that good drawings can often obviate the need for written instructions whereas good written instructions are always enhanced by good illustrations (the Chinese say, 'one picture= 1000 words').

Jim, I think you are spot on about the primary difficulty in using machine translator programs to translate printed plans. Yes, there are text identification programs out there that will 'convert your image file into text, but they are subject to many of the same problems machine translators are for many of the same reasons (not to mention they are expensive). The only other alternative I know of is to 'data enter' into the machine translator -WHAT FUN!

Moreover. even if you can get a human to translate a set of instructions, problems may still occur if that person is not also familiar with the particular technical aspects of this type of construction/medium.

So, my advice to you, Bernhard, is that you look at the illustrations in your kit instructions and see if you can make sense of them before seeking a translation. Unless, of course, you want the translation for more than just construction purposes.

If you still want a translation, might I suggest checking out the articles section of this site. In there, you'll see a segment on translations of kit instructions. You may want to contact one of the guys who has provided other English translations of Polish kit instructions to see if they would be able to get you a translation of your kit instructions for a reasonable (maybe free or in exchange for..) price.

Good luck and I look forward to seeing the photos of your finished model.
{by the way, if you need extra aircraft for the flightdeck, just drop me a line}.

Thanks,

Mike

Janusz

May 13, 2004
Toluca Mexico
Hi Bernhard
If You can send me the text typed with common english tipographic characteres I will be possible for me to help You a bit with Your translation

send it to
januszw@prodigy.net.mx

I do not have this particular model so it will be necessary for You to send the text first.

I hope this can be of some help to You

Best regards

Janusz

Janusz

May 13, 2004
Toluca Mexico
Hi Bernhard
If You can send me the text typed with common english tipographic characteres I will be possible for me to help You a bit with Your translation

send it to
januszw@prodigy.net.mx

I do not have this particular model so it will be necessary for You to send the text first.

I hope this can be of some help to You

Best regards

Janusz

Bernhard L

Aug 4, 2005
hi darwin

Lucky me
i dont have a wife that can cook
guess who has to do that??? (Misfortune of being a former chef)
Secondly she prefers me to be building models rather than being down at the pub or other male extra-curicular activeties. :D
So she gives me a reasonable buget to work with

I HAVE THE DREAM WOMAN

Bernhard L

Aug 4, 2005
hi darwin

Lucky me
i dont have a wife that can cook
guess who has to do that??? (Misfortune of being a former chef)
Secondly she prefers me to be building models rather than being down at the pub or other male extra-curicular activeties. :D
So she gives me a reasonable buget to work with

I HAVE THE DREAM WOMAN