need help starting a layout..

cjfeltner

Jan 3, 2006
hazard, ky.
i need help starting a layout, i have a 4 x 8 built plywood table is that alright to start with? also before i put anything on it do i need to cover it with some type of foam or something? please help no train clubs or anything like that anywhere near me, maybe i need some books or video. if you have any books you would like to donate or sale please let me know i need all the help i can get. thanks newbie:)

jcoop1

Mar 18, 2005
First...... Welcome to the Gauge.

Second, many will suggest laying foam either pink or blue over the plywood. It will quiet things down and you can dig valleys and rivers in the foam. It is easy to work with, just a little messy sometimes.

Where are you located? You may find that some of us are closer than you think

mscwolf

Nov 2, 2006
There's a website you should go to: http://www.greatesthobby.com/, where you can get tons of starter info. The video they sell is great & has started my family & me on the adventure of Model Railroading. We watch it over and over & see something new each time, as we progress. The other suggestion, get a subscription to Model Railroader... worth every penny...

Jim Krause

Apr 7, 2005
Polson, MT
Welcome. Sounds like a good start. Keep it simple and enjoy the hobby. A 4X8 is a good learning tool and there are dozens of layout plans made up for that size. Model Railroader magazine has several books out on small layouts. You usually see them advertised in the back of the magazine.

oldtanker

Feb 24, 2006
West central Mn
HI and welcome, I think most of us got started on a 4X8 even it it's what dad did for us as kids.

The Greatest Hobby vid is a great tool. My 3 yo grandson watches it daily and then tells me what to buy. If you really want to get him going take him to a hobby shop that has the scenery stuff from the vid!

Rick