Need help Selling

hyarion

Mar 7, 2006
Omaha, Nebraska
Hey all. I've been collectin HO engines with the idea of setting up my 'dream setup.' Unfortunately, Im being sent to Iraq and I have nowhere to keep my collection. So Ive picked out what I want (Im a sucker fro streamliners) and need to sell the rest. I need to sell a bunch of engines, and the people on here aren't biting. Any suggestions?

thanks

ben

pgandw

Jul 9, 2005
You can auction them off on eBay. You will likely get what they are worth (and perhaps a little more) if you start at a fairly low price, and have pretty close to actual cost shipping. However, on eBay you do not control the price, the bidders do. If you have too high a starting price and/or reserve, folks don't bid. Figure about 10-15% for eBay and PayPal fees - percentage is less as price goes up. The top price you are likely to get is effectively capped by dealers offering the same item at a "Buy it now" price. Good picture(s) and accurate description of item and condition are essential to getting a good price on eBay. Original boxes and paper work increase the value. Because of shipping costs, selling cars or train set quality locomotives individually is not very productive - you'll need to group these. Good quality locomotives such as Atlas or Kato in excellent condition will normally get at least 75% of their original cost.

Hope this helps.

hyarion

Mar 7, 2006
Omaha, Nebraska
True, but I'm hoping to avoid e-bay. I'd rather sell it to a collector who knows better, and I feel some loyalty to the railroad community. Thats why I'm just selling them in railroad forums.

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
Not sure how often there might be train shows and flea markets in your area...or if you have time before you leave... but renting a table to display your goods might do the trick.
Ralph