Need help on layout

Discussion in 'Track Planning' started by Sasha, Oct 28, 2005.

1. Sasha

Sasha New Member

Hello gauge!

I am thinking about starting a layout in my room, well loft etc its got climate control and power with lots of insulation. Well the space granted to me is about 10 foot by about 6 foot. I have got about 400$ to spend on track and 300$ to spend on rolling stock, i do not want to have scenery or a proper layout yet because i always am changing my mind, but id like some suggestions.

I am looking for a 2 or 3 mainlines, possibly with terminus's (oh by the way the area is like a upside down C, like this )

---------
    | |

(not to scale)

also with a branch line and a yard, i am not really bothered about a yard at all but id just like the 2 or 3 mainlines and a branch, its stretching 400$ of track seeing as i have nothing at all but please any track plans will do! also i am not bothered about any period in time!

and btw i have looked at the atlas and thortrains layouts but they dont seem to be the right ones although they are very good! i am in england as well
  2. railroader9731

railroader9731 Member

there are diffrent books out there and most are at your lhs or you can order them thru kalmbach books or at the walthers web site. www.modelrailroader.com has a down load section on there for a fee and it will give some ideas from setting up to sceanery. hope this helps
  3. Sasha

Sasha New Member

very much appreciated, but my card is buggered atm so i cannot pay for anything over the net atm =( so its cold hard cash till my new card comes and my library (least i think thats lhs) has got no books on trains, it hasnt even got the bible ffs. So as you see its hard for me!
  4. railroader9731

railroader9731 Member

a loose term we here use lhs (local hobby shop)
  5. Sasha

Sasha New Member

ah i see, the local train shop is in the city, im hoping to do all ordering mail order because the one in the city is crap,
  6. railroader9731

railroader9731 Member

7. Sasha

Sasha New Member

thats great thanks man!, can someone post some ideas though for a track plan ?
  8. MasonJar

MasonJar It's not rocket surgery

Sasha,

You need to provide us with a bit more info:

- how much space do you have and what shape is it? (You can attach pictures or drawings to your posts - check here to learn how.
    - related to above - what does your proposed benchwork look like? how much of the space does it take? Is it a shelf type layout, or a table?
    - what type of trains do you like to run?
    - what time frame or era do you want?
    - what location?
    - what industries are you interested in?
    - you mention two or three mainlines - do you like running trains continuously (needing a simple loop) or do you want them to do some switching, etc?
    - what scale?

This information will help us help you with your plan.

One housekeeping item - if "ffs" stands for what I think it does, please refrain from using it in the future...

Andrew
    (Moderator)
  9. Triplex

Triplex Active Member

He gave the space: 6'x10' with one 10' side open. Scale - that's a biggie...

2 or 3 mainlines - does that mean double or triple track, or separated lines?

Is this to be British prototype? That may make a difference to the track plan.
  10. Sasha

Sasha New Member

well here goes:

the mainlines id rather have triple track or possibly 2 and one separate.
    I am not looking for anything serious so it doesnt matter if its british or american,
    and the scale is H0 or 00

here is a link to what it looks like in my loft http://img492.imageshack.us/img492/9445/plan8ll.jpg
  11. Triplex

Triplex Active Member

That image just confused me. I'm not sure what's table, wall or operating space. It doesn't seem to make geometric sense. :confused: