Need help on Harbor

Nick8564

I am putting a harbor into my layout. I was thinking about putting a contanier ship into it until I found out that a scale size for a ocean liner is about 4 foot long. To big for my layout. Can anyone tell me is anyone makes barges or smaller ships that will fit into my layout. I am thinking about making my Harbor more into a riverside harbor than an ocean one.

Russ Bellinis

Someone posted a thread on here about a freighter and a tanker ship models. The freighter was much smaller than the typical modern container ship. I don't know if any are still in use, but at the terminal I used to work for in L. A. harbor we used to get small ships in that would have a combination of containers and break bulk loads. For a time frame, I worked in the harbor from 1978 to 1989. They would have containers on deck and bulk loading below deck. I think these small ships served small countries and islands that didn't have the space or equipment to handle the large container ships. I don't remember which forum the thread was in, or who posted it originally, but perhaps someone who can find it would link it to this thread.

E Mo Ry

Most recent edition of MR has a story on Rail-marine and maritime operations. Here's a link to various manufacturers of marine-related models...good luck, i've flirted with building a rail barge into my layout, but i just couldn't fit everything (not to mention that it didn't work in St. Louis in the 50s, thought in the 1800's it would have been cool to model crossing the mississippi that way!)

Marine Suppliers

rockislandmike

My train friend (with a 38' x 24' layout) is having a pair of Walthers ore docks, with two 6-foot ships. It's gonna look amazing.

Not that that helps answers your question. But I just felt like chiming in.

Russ Bellinis

moria said:
Hi:)

Heres a couple of companies whose products I have used.

Both do resin kits for marine items in HO..

http://www.isp.ca/sylvan/ is Sylvan Models from here in Canada

the other is a Dutch company, but much of their stuff can be used for North America.. http://www.artitec.nl/ .. Artitec models.

Hope these links help.

Regards

The Laker class Ocean Freighter on the sylvan web site would be a perfect tramp steamer to use in a harbor scene, and it's only 36" long. I just browsed through the forums, and noticed that there are some new pics in the "structures" sticky in the photography forum. At the bottom of page 21 Val has posted some pics of lakes freighters.