Need Help, Need good ideas on Scenery & Mountains???

Hello, I need some good ideas on scenery and mountains. I bought the walthers backdrops and I think I am using them. My layout is a uU-shape layout and only 2 foot wide max. I used foam to do the mountains and sprayed glue on it with some grass. Then I added some bushes trying to model the Pennsylvania mountains. See pic, any suggstions?

Thanks, Greg

Attachments

• DSC01087.JPG
    DSC01087.JPG
    63.9 KB · Views: 240

neilmunck

It's very pretty. It looks like your tabletop is foam so it might be nice to extend the hill below the track so that the track is not at the lowest point.

Some small trees might look good but equally they miht make the hill look too small.

Yes, it is a tabletop layout. I have these small mountians at both ends of the layout. See pics below:

Pic below is the middle of the layout with the mountains to the left.

Attachments

• Layout Jan 2004j.JPG
    Layout Jan 2004j.JPG
    65.9 KB · Views: 204
My Displayed Lionel Trains my Dad gave me before he past away.

Making this layout for him, because he never had one.

Love ya Dad!!

Attachments

• DSC00456.JPG
    DSC00456.JPG
    51.7 KB · Views: 203
Layout Suggestions

What else do I need to do to my layout to make it better. Seems so flat, but it's a narrow layout too.

Thanks,
Greg

Yes, It is the least I can do for my father who got me hooked on trains before he left so suddenly. The he got into finincial trouble and he committed suicide. Pain is over I think.

Now I have a 7 month old son and I'm starting to buy fisher prise toy trains and hopefully we can enjoy the hobby together.

Thanks,
Greg

Chessie6459

Gauge Oldtimer
I am so sorry to hear that. :( I lost my father back in August of 2001 :cry: , he had a massive heart attack. He got me hooked on trains from the time i was born and i have been around them since. I have a website that is dedicated to him and it is called the Independent Live Steamers. Hey 7 months old is a great time to get into the hobby, i have a 3 year old neice that everytime she sees a train she is yelling at me to come and look at it. lol Keep up the great work on your model railroad. :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

tgage

Backdrops

If you need quality backdrops look at http://backdropwarehouse.com also for scenery there is an illustrated book by Rob Adelman, model railroading with mth electric trains by krause pubs 888-457-2873 which has considerable detail on making scenery. There are some photos on the backdrop warehouse site under layout photos.

petey

Greg,
Here's something to think about to relieve the flatness. Use 1"/2" foam blocks to set down on your layout. You can slope off a couple of the edges, and leave some vertical. You can make them in a size that will fit a location. You can "plant" them, or put homes, or an entire industry on the blocks. A good way to get undulating terrain.