Need help in Washington, PA

joefryfry

joefryfry
Jan 12, 2006
PA
www.bluemountainaerialmapping.com
I am going to the show at Oglebay this weekend and I am looking to buy. I need some advice on DCC and engines, how much I should be looking to pay, what type of engine I might need,etc. I am a newbie, but very serious about this hobby. I am also probably going to wire my layout with DCC, but I would like to see someone else's layout if possible, before I wire mine. Any help around the Washington/Wheeling area would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

eightyeightfan1

Now I'm AMP'd
Jun 18, 2002
Torrington, Ct.
Can't help with Dcc or D.C.
As far as the engines, it depends on what scale and era your modeling. Steam engines are a tick more expensive than diesels. Ho is more(not much more) than N.It also depends on what road your modeling. UP stuff will be a little more expensive than say Pennsy stuff, only because of the royalties UP has put on their artwork.
Hope this is helpful

csxengineer

May 16, 2003
Pittsburgh, Pa
Visit site
what scale?

Are you modeling N or HO? Head up 79 north, jump on the parkway and catch the Monroeville ExpoMart show in Feb. Also good hobby stores 10 min from Pgh (esther's in Millvale). Some clubs up here too. Whatcha wanna model?

joefryfry

joefryfry
Jan 12, 2006
PA
www.bluemountainaerialmapping.com

csxengineer said:
Are you modeling N or HO? Head up 79 north, jump on the parkway and catch the Monroeville ExpoMart show in Feb. Also good hobby stores 10 min from Pgh (esther's in Millvale). Some clubs up here too. Whatcha wanna model?

I have a 10' x 4' bench built. I was thinking about going N scale, but decided not to, since this is my first "major layout", I figured I should stick to HO for now. Plus I want to model a dirt track raceway on my layout, and the cars I have are 1/64 scale, a little larger than 1/87, but close enough for me. I heard about the expo mart show, but hate driving to Monroeville and not a fan of expo mart shows.

My railroad is a "fake" line. Not sure what you pros call a line that isn't modeled after a real line. So I plan on repainting any engines that I buy. It is going to be a coal line, and the real hoppers around here are Norfolk Southern, so I may just buy some hoppers with that paint job on it. I would really like to see an "advanced" layout that someone has because I have a ton of questions.

I have been looking at modern diesel engines, but not sure yet what I want. GP38-2? I don't know. I plan on running about 12 cars of rolling stock up a 3% grade. How much power will I need? What diesel would be able to handle that? Thanks guys.

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
One or two Athearn gp38-2s should handle a 12 car train up a 3% grade without problems. On a 4x12, you will probably have to use 18-22 inch radius curves. 4 axle locomotives, like the gp38-2, will look better on the tight radius than 6 axle diesels. 6 axle diesels will work fine on 22 iinch radius.