Need Help from Web Guru

Strthoky

I am working on my train web site ( work in progress) and What I would Like to do is add a section that is password protected. so that people who I give a username/password to can go to a section not available to the general public. I am using AOL's (AO HELL) web space... (hey it is included in my monthly wasted money to them) anyways I have looked on the web with google and can't seem to find any good info... any help would be greatly appreciated

jon-monon

I'm not familiar with AOL and it's services, but I think you need more than static html to do a passwrded web page. Probably need to do CGI scripts which are not likely part of the deal. Perhaps you could dump AOL and get a cheaper service, such as netzero platnum, and spend the difference on a website. You might get by with the "basic" account at Pair and you would have tons of space, mailboxes and other features. If you consider this, you should e-mail pair or whatever provider you choose and make sure the account can do what you want. They should be able to tell you and tell you exactly how to do it. If they don't, I would look elsewhere.

One note, if you change internet providers to save money, it's always a good idea to test the new one for a month or two and make sure it's satisfactory before you fire the old provider. Netzero is good here, but it could be lousy there.

Strthoky

I have comcast cable modem.. aol is there for the "internet challenged" family members. I have yet to have my wife get a hang of using Internet Explorer... so AOL is $15 a month to keep from having to help someone play on the puter... maybe I should just find a web host and go with that... any good web hosting services either really really cheap or free where I can do this

jon-monon

You would only save $5 anyway, I was thinking AOL was $20.

What is it you want to do with the passworded area? If you just want some people to be able to download, you could get the ftp account from pair for $6 a month and give them your password. Of course you would want to do this only with people you really trust not to meddle because they would have access to everything.

Strthoky

I want a back section I can put family photos on for my family to download.. I am just kinda unsure about putting my sons picture out on the net with access to anyone... maybe I am being a little paranoid... but who knows...

Just a little something I can put the photos on with thumbnails linked to high quality photos that they can save and then print or have printed out...

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
Strthoky you could try this html code
<HTML>
<HEAD>
<TITLE>INPUT2.HTM</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
<FORM>
Enter the secret password:<input type="password" NAME="secret_word"
SIZE="30" MAXLENGTH="30>
</FORM>
</BODY>
</HTML>

I think this will work so give it a try
What it gives is a line that says:
Enter the secret password . then in a box, the user enters the password with each letter showing up as an * for confidentiality for those over the shoulder
friends