need help from the pros

zachary

Aug 6, 2006
trinity north carolina
Hello i need help with my trackplan. I have tried the atlas software and just cant get it. So I need help i have the back havle of a 16 foot long x 12 wide building no windows or doors i want a lot of swichting and a dual mainline with a 30 inch radius timeframe is 60s to modern bnsf and all of the roads they aquired thanks for any help in advance Zacharyf:) :) :) :)

Triplex

Aug 24, 2005
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Back half of a 16'x12'... Does that mean a 16'x6' layout with walls on all except one 16' side, or a 12'x8' layout with walls on all except one 12' side? And if there are no doors, how do you get in? A stairway in the half you're not using?

Triplex

Aug 24, 2005
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
This is around 11 square squares... pretty tight.

In this size, my first question is always: Does this have to be a walk-in layout, or is a swing/lift bridge workable? A full walk-in arrangement will effectively cut the space in half.

rsn48

Feb 27, 2003
North Vancouver, BC, Canada
Visit site
In tight spaces, you will find more opinions, not less, with a smaller layout - I presume HO. Why? Well in a large layout you can pretty much do what you want, in a small layout there are going to be compromises. So I always answer your type of question with what would give me a great deal of pleasure, but I come with assumptions:

1) A good layout entails lots of switching and continuous running isn't important.
2) I can incorporate other RR lines.
3) There is some form of staging.
4) There is potential for great visuals.
5) I can have "reasonable" curves - 30 inches.

So I would build a U shaped layout that is a harbour switching layout, probably based loosely on the harbour area here in Vancouver BC. In a very short distance, BNSF and CN and CP all operate. There is a working rail barge that BNSF uses (great for staging cars on and of the layout). There are three universals that allow you to bring in just about any type of cars and they are 1) ports 2) bulk transfer areas (modern team track) and 3) interchange tracks. Your (my) layout would have all three so you could virtually switch any type of cars you wished.

The tall buildings would constitute your "urban" valleys, so large tall sugar refinery with giant wheat pools, etc would give you your mountains and valleys.

With a U shaped layout you could have your decks about 28 inches wide, giving you an ailse of 3 foot 8 inches. Your layout could easily handle three operators standing stastic but passing trains off to the next operator.

Just one idea.

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
I would do the U shape sugested above just like rsn48 suggested, then add a bridge across the opening of the U. Gary S. posted a thread on a bridge he built to use to cross an aisle that I'm linking to now. The other thing you can add if you are modeling the Seattle area is a barge operation done on a cart to allow for some off layout staging. A lot of the freight going to Alaska from the lower 48 goes by barge out of Seattle.

http://www.the-gauge.com/showthread.php?t=18869