Need Help Finding

Play-Doh

May 12, 2006
Portland OR
Hey Folks

Ive searched high and low and im having the hardest time finding something.

Im working on creating a scratchbuilt market, sort of a farmers market style, with fruit and veggies out front. The only problem is, I cant find the bins or tables that would hold the fruit and veggies. Ive seen them in kits, but I would hate to kitbash something just for the tables.

Does anyone know if someone makes these?

Thanks
TJ

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
I don't know of anyone making those bins, but they would be an easy scratch build from wood or styrene. Use scale 4 x 4 lumber in styrene styrene for the legs. You could use wood, but every fruit stand I've been to paints the bins, so wood grain won't show anyway, and gluing is simplified with styrene. Use styrene for the base of the bins just thick enough to keep it from warping. The bottom of most bins I've seen are plywood. The dividers to separate the different types of fruit are 1 x 6 lumber as is the sides and ends of the bins. The bins should slope a bit, I think about 15 degrees, but that is an estimate. I would build the bins first and then set my leg length to make it look right to my eye.

Play-Doh

May 12, 2006
Portland OR
Russ Bellinis said:
I don't know of anyone making those bins, but they would be an easy scratch build from wood or styrene. Use scale 4 x 4 lumber in styrene styrene for the legs. You could use wood, but every fruit stand I've been to paints the bins, so wood grain won't show anyway, and gluing is simplified with styrene. Use styrene for the base of the bins just thick enough to keep it from warping. The bottom of most bins I've seen are plywood. The dividers to separate the different types of fruit are 1 x 6 lumber as is the sides and ends of the bins. The bins should slope a bit, I think about 15 degrees, but that is an estimate. I would build the bins first and then set my leg length to make it look right to my eye.

Thanks so much for the advice Russ, that is probably my best bet!

Now for the real question: what should I use for fruit and veggies?

LongIslandTom

Apr 8, 2006
Long Island, NY
1mm-dia. ball bearings painted red and orange might do for representing HO-scale apples and oranges... (1mm would translate to approximately 3.5 inches in HO scale, which is a good size for those fruits). Not sure what to do for other fruits or vegetables though.

Hope this helps a little!

nkp174

Oct 10, 2006
Cincinnati, O.
Playdoh...take a look at the pasta selection available in your local grocery store. Acini de pepe (sp?) or potentially couscous could be painted and used as fruits.