Need developer's ideas

BNSFC449W

Yo!

I have this section in my layout (modeled after the ATLAS N-16 plan, but with some modifications...) that I need some input from everyone in here.

The section is about 2 ft long by 8-10 in depth. The plan suggests I could put an engine facility, but I was thinking of maybe a warehouse of some sort.

The picture that I have taken, shows a small "bowl" that I created a while back by messing around with a heat gun as I was trying to get some ideas with the lanscaping...and if I have to cover it, that is not a problem.

Whoever presents me with the best idea, I will name the location after your name or whatever name you suggest me with.

Thanks for the opportunity to hear me out!

Peace!

Robert

Attachments

• 24jul2k2_0002.jpg
    24jul2k2_0002.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 361

BNSFC449W

One more "aerial view" as I was "flying" over the land... with one of the board members of the RR company (AKA my wonderful wife) :D

Attachments

• 24jul2k2_0003.jpg
    24jul2k2_0003.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 355

Tyson Rayles

Hi Robert, a few clues would be helpful. Is this n-scale? What are your plans for either side of it? What is the overall theme of your layout? Example: If that is n-scale you could put a modern grain elevator and silos in there with room to spare, however it won't look right if the rest of the layout depicts a big city urban area set in the east during the days of steam.

BNSFC449W

Hey Tyson,

Sorry fo the lack of info!:(

I was excited to post this plea for help because I knew I could count in the members of this forum. The layout is N scale and as far as the theme, it will be “modern” rural with lots of “open land.” I think this layout being a 4x8 and following the N-16 plan, leaves limited room for some industries. I like the idea of the grain elevator…I just do not want to pack a lot of structures an make the layout look all congested.

Above the "proposed land," there will be track with more mountains. As you can see below that area, the track are just sidings

If you need more info, feel free to ask.

Thanks.

Robert
:) :)

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Hi there,

Since that depression is there and the industry appears as if it will be built into or near the side of a hill how about a gravel pit/rock crusher/aggregate sort of company? It would fit in well with a rural setting. "Ralph's Rocks" comes to mind as a nifty name! :D

Ralph

Tyson Rayles

Ralph has a excellent idea! :cool: All you would have to model if you want as much room as possible for scenery is the loader. You could have a conveyor shaft go over the tracks and into the side of the mountain. It could be rock,ore, coal whatever.

shamus

Registered Member
Hi, 2' by 8-10" is quite large in N-scale friend and that small area you made with the heat gun can be used as a small lake, have a track coming over to it and place a building at the side and use it as a warehouse/fish supply.

Shamus

Bill Pontin

Better check with your county land office, Trebor Industries has land petitions filed for a quarry in that location. (Trebor = Robert)

Robert looks like a perfect place for a granite quarry
;)

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Ralph beat me to it, but "Dane-Jerruss Quarry" sand, stone, and block. Or, deepen the "pond", and add bridges so the harbor can be accessed. Could be a marina with a waterfront restaurant, or, as Shamus suggested,a fish house, or a ship-to-rail transfer point.
Pete

Lighthorseman

Hey, Rob...

How about an abandoned spur leading to an old log pond, with rotting logs about, perhaps even the remnants of an old or possibly burnt-out mill?

BNSFC449W

Thanks for the ideas guys! I will take every suggestion under consideration and get back to you in a few days.

Robert

BNSFC449W

And the winner is............

Ralph Rocks & Co.

Since you the winner Ralph, can you help me with some model numbers of the structures? I have no clue who makes any and i do not own a Walther's catalog.

Thanks and congrats!

Robert

This one is pretty cute when weathered Robert.
It's originally a Polo product but Model Power now markets it as kit #490-1518 (walthers numbering system), it's called "Stone and Gravel Unloading Station" 5¼" x 3¾".

Heres a photo of it.

Errol

Attachments

• pic00067.jpg
    pic00067.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 213

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Hey there Robert!
(I was out of town for a few days and missed your post until now.)
That's great! I'm pleased to have contributed. May Ralph Rocks & Co be a going concern and a constant source of revenue on your railroad. :) It was fun to think up the idea. Unfortunately I don't have a catalog either. I really like the picture that Kettlestack posted though. I've found nice looking conveyors at my hobby store but have long since discarded the packaging. Maybe you local shop stocks them. Hopefully other folks will have additional suggestions for kits, etc.
Best wishes!
Ralph