Need an oil tender photo

N

nachoman

Does anyone have a good photo of the top of an oil tender that they could share? I am interested in seeing the arrangemt of the oil filler cap, how the tank weathers (oil spills, etc) and typical locations for handrails/grabirons. Thanks.

Kevin

N

nachoman

No specific engine - I am building a free-lanced tender. I am just looking for photos to give me ideas on how oil tanks were typically constructed. So any oil tank from any railroad would be useful. I see plenty of photos of the side of a tender, but very few of the top :confused:.

Kevin

cn nutbar

Dec 4, 2005
Hi Kevin---here's a few shots of a Canadian National locomotive with an oil tender---hope these help---Nutbar

430004156.jpg

430004073.jpg

43008008.jpg

GN.2-6-8-0

May 25, 2006
Glendale AZ.
The great Northern tended to mix and match its tenders they also as in this picture of a PFM model shows converted coal tenders to fuel oil by addition of oil bunkers which fit inside the coal bunker.
Also note the placement of the fill hatch's for oil and water....pretty standard as far as tenders went , oil in the front water to the rear..in this case between the back up light and the rear of the tender.
As to weathering water mineral deposits left a white or greyish residue around the fill hatch and sometimes down the sides of the tender.
As for oil a small shiny area around the fill hatch will suffice.....that would be cleaned up as it would be extremely slippery so a real hazard.

Attachments

• G3 (2).JPG
    G3 (2).JPG
    49.1 KB · Views: 3
  • G3.JPG
    G3.JPG
    42.6 KB · Views: 3
  • G3-1.JPG
    G3-1.JPG
    60.2 KB · Views: 3
N

nachoman

Thanks for the photos. I was hoping to find more close-up prototype photos. Maybe taken from the cab of an engine showing the tender being filled...

Kevin