Need advice on how to lay track

Edgar

Oct 8, 2005
Folks, I just switched track sytems, from Bachmann's EZ-Track to Atlas Snap Track Code 83 Nickel-Silver Rail. As you can imagine, it's a whole new world for me, from laying out track with roadbed included to putting together track that'll need a roadbed, nails or spikes, etc. And I gotta admit that I'm still new to the hobby, having started less than a yearago. Any good advice or tips that I can get from you guys? Any suggestions are welcome and I'll really appreciate them.:wave:

green_elite_cab

Keep It Moving!
Apr 4, 2005
Hainesport NJ
Edgar said:
Folks, I just switched track sytems, from Bachmann's EZ-Track to Atlas Snap Track Code 83 Nickel-Silver Rail. As you can imagine, it's a whole new world for me, from laying out track with roadbed included to putting together track that'll need a roadbed, nails or spikes, etc. And I gotta admit that I'm still new to the hobby, having started less than a yearago. Any good advice or tips that I can get from you guys? Any suggestions are welcome and I'll really appreciate them.:wave:

I have to agree with what jim said. it does mess with the track if you nail it down to tight. it should be just low enoughso that your trains don't get caught on it, and its not notice able. the only purpose to nailing track is to keep the trains from disconnecting it. leave some leeway between the top of the ties and the nail head.

Consider painting all your track sections before you mount it down. use Polly scale rust on the rails, and then paint the ties RR tie brown ( polly scale or Floquil). It would probably be easier to do it that way, rather than trying to paint it all while its mounted on the layout.

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Mounting methods will vary with what your putting it on. A firm roadbed (cork or Homasote) will allow you to hold the track down with spikes, but something that gives, like foam or Woodland Scenics rubber will require glue. For the latter I use pins (free with a new shirt) to hold the track horizontally and either glue first or add ballast and blue that way. Then remove the pins.
One method I used was green contact cement on roadbed and bottom of ties, cover the roadbed with wax paper, add track and slowly peel the wax paper out as you get the track in position.