Near dissaster!

Kevinkrey

Jul 27, 2006
Saint Paul MN.
A few weeks ago, my mother told me that I should get some of my stuff up off the basement floor (where the trains are) and my very expensive woodworking tools, so I picked up cords that were not used, but thought nothing else of it. Oh yea, the reason, we realized our water heater is old and could go out like the last one at any time, last time there was quite a wet mess. So anyway, lo and behold, tonight, it went out. Luckily we caught it and I could drain it in time. Man, were going on vacation next week and if it happened then, no doubt it, the benchwork would be in trouble. Pretty boring thread, my mind just went straight to TRAINS! when it happened, so I though it was worth mention.

N

nachoman

Water heaters... HA! I thought mine was leaking, worried a bit, then realized my cat litter box was next to it, and then realized Waffles had missed :)

Seriously, mine is 15 years old. I am told one should periodically replace the sacraficial anode in the tank to keep the tank from rusting. I know of nobody who does :( And worse yet, when I asked around the local harware stores, seems they would rather sell you a new water heater than something to prevent your old one from rusting :)

Kevin

bigsteel

Call me Mr.Tinkertrain
Dec 12, 2006
Cincinnati,Ohio
this i kinda wierd as my grandfthers water heater went out about a week ago also! it had rusted through and as he shut off a basement water line the surge blew a 3in hole through the bottom of the tank! but he was suprised it lasted this long as it was 20yrs old :eek: --josh

Kevinkrey

Jul 27, 2006
Saint Paul MN.

Yes, we usually turn everything off when we leave. This one was a good 20 years old, and and we just read that 20 years is a VERY good lifespan for one, so we figured it was about time.​