NE Minnesota NW Wisconsin modelers

pkeppers

Hi,

I joined this forum a week or two ago. I'm building a decent sized HO layout with the intent of having train order based operations in the not too distant future. I just thought I'd see if there are any other modelers in the Duluth MN area on this list.

Phil Keppers
Duluth, MN

DanRaitz

Hi Phil,

You're probably already talking to Todd (tileguy), well I'm Dan from Grand Rapids. If we can get ours plans together we'll see you next month. :)

Dan

wjstix

Well I don't live in the area (I'm in Richfield MN) but my model railroad is set on the north shore of Lake Superior, the St.Paul Duluth and Canadian RR. Are you by chance a member of the DMIR Historical Society?? I'll be at their convention in Proctor in August, maybe I'll see you there. :wave:

pkeppers

Hi

I'm not a DMIR HS member. I do live within view of the DMIR line to the ore docks in Duluth and see trains every day. I'm modeling the NP out in Washington State.

What is the concept for your railroad? I had considered a free lance layout based on sort of a combined D&IR and D&NM. I had looked at several eras from using ON30 for a 1890's version to a HO diesel 1950's version with a big Walthers ore dock. I just couldnt seem to come up with a concept I liked that I thought was plausible enough to make me believe it could have existed.

My NP layout is running to the point that I can have a train run from staging to the upper of the 2 visible decks and back again. It's going to be run by time table and train order with a big emphasis on helper operations over the Cascade mountains.

You and anyone else at the DMIR convention are more than welcome to stop in and check it out as I am trying to find people intested in operations in this area.

Phil Keppers
Duluth MN

Tileguy

Ive been there, Ive seen the layout, Ive run trains on it (and let me tell you the helper grades are simply awesome with long,very long slow climbs up a steep 3% grade) Phil has more track in his basement than the Hobby shop has and more lumber than home depot (ok that may be a slight exageration but the benchwork and track run throughout the entire basement and are seperated by walls that are strategic and really make you feel like your not only going somewhere but taking a very long time to get there.
It is going to be when finished a very good rendition of NP rairoading in the cascades 1950's style and built for pure operations railroading.
Needless to say,I was impressed :)