NBSG "The Beast" WIP

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by MTK, Apr 12, 2011.

1. MTK

MTK Active Member

Greetings fellow modelers. I'm working on "The Beast" and have it 90% textured, with the exception for the cannons and a couple of minor changes I want to make. I need your help and info, for any that are interested... I need size and scale info. Any help is greatly appreciated.

What would be a good size for this model and what is the length?

I've got one section ready to show and can upload it to my blog as an preview while I continue to work on it.

Attached Files:

2. ennder

ennder Member

Pegasus "The Beast"

The models of the Galactica that I know of are 18" and 36" long
    However, the Pegasus is a little larger then the Galactica, (about 1/6
    larger) so the Pegasus should be about 21" long for the small one, and
    42" for the larger one.
  3. MTK

MTK Active Member

Thanks ennder. 21" sounds like a good place to start. Found this link and I'm guessing that it's right. I'll have to dig further, but for now I'll use this data. http://rpggamer.org/page.php?page=3032

I've got a friend that can help out with this, but I have to clear it with him first. Have some studio references to upload to my blog, will get to that asap.
  4. MTK

MTK Active Member

"The Beast" is 5,872ft as confirmed by the "Battlestar Wiki." 5872X12in =70464" multipy by 25.4mm conversion = 1789785.6mm. At 1/4000 this equals 447.4464mm. Converting back to inches give a model of 17.616"

Though not in scale with existing models this is a workable size for this model.

Any thoughts?
  5. ennder

ennder Member

That sounds ok... it can always be scaled up to mach the existing models.
    Thank You for making this model. Jaybat has one on his site, but, for some reason, I have always had trouble building his models. They NEVER come out right :(
  6. MTK

MTK Active Member

Well, I have to work within the limitations of Pepakura and the paper size. At 3500 the model comes in right about 20" and the larger parts can fit on letter sized sheets. There's going to have to be some geometric work done on this at any rate. Many of the parts cut through each other, so I'm going to have to build this is sections and make adjustments for each cut through. Additionally, I'm seriously thinking about taking the studio orthos and upping the resolution and accuracy of the mesh.:mrgreen:
  7. MTK

MTK Active Member

"The Best" References and Preview.

Below is a link to the blog page that will show the continued efforts of creating and building this card model. Additionally the first five pages of the model in letter sheets are available. Note the cut-throughs that have to be accounted for and check out the reference material.

http://mtkcardcraft.blogspot.com/2011/04/pegasus-project-beast-wip.html
  8. ennder

ennder Member

Very nice work so far. You know, if you had it in a cad program, you might be able to turn some of those cut-throughs into internal supports.
  9. ennder

ennder Member

I would offer to do the bata build, but when my step-brother moved out he took my camera with him and (he said)lost it. I think he sold it or pawned it, but I can't prove it.
  10. MTK

MTK Active Member

That's a good idea ennder. I have an older version of AutoCAD, but I think it might be faster and easier for me to do it by printing up untextured templates and doing it manually. I find AutoCAD to be quite tedius to work with and can probably move faster manually.
  11. ennder

ennder Member

I never did like autocad much, always had to hunt for the right menu to use. I'm more of a CadKey nut myself all menus can be accessed through the F keys. My first experince with autocad was Ver. 12 in 1990-91. I first learned to do 3D wireframe drawings in autocad 12, you had to raise or lower the drawing plane then join to an existing line in order to draw the 3D wireframe. Rendering of solid objects had not been invented yet.
  12. MTK

MTK Active Member

I started in AutoCAD12 as well, actually I started drafting manually about four years before 12 came out. I share your feeling on the program and was very unhappy to find out that Autodesk did no support my college version of AutoCad Light.
  13. MTK

MTK Active Member

Doh! Wrong ship. My bad. Too many projects close to being finished and misposted.sign1

Attached Files:

14. Jackrum

Jackrum Member

Is that the same source model Jaybats used?
  15. MTK

MTK Active Member

I'm not really sure which model Jaybat's used. This is a BC file and is need of a lot of work.